What did I really miss out on?

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

Bane
Uber Nerd

What did I really miss out on?

Post by Bane »

When Doom 3 was realased, my computer was too crappy to play any more games. Every game after that, including Doom 3 ofc, I haven't really been able to play as they should have been played on my old and histty GF3 200 or whatever its name is.. It's been so long since I even talked about my GF-card that I can't even remember what it's called! Now that's a looong time with no good games, hehe..

So, basically, what I want to ask you, when I get my new comp.. which is rumming late :( .. which games since the Doom 3 generation of games, MUST I really play because they were so fucking good they must be experienced with a good comp? Which games have been you personal favorited these last couple of years? Genres doesn't matter.

Please advice, cause except for crysis, NVN2 and CoD4, I don't know what the hell I should play on this new comp! :-/

EDIT: Btw, my spelling really sucks in thsi post but Im too lazy to fix them all.
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

well doom3 just wasn't that great of a game outside of the popout imps and the flashlight BS. I'd stay away unless you really are interested in the story (it's alright...)

but i think Farcry came out around then, if you never played F.E.A.R i'd recommend it (the story is pretty good) its one of the few "horror" games that actually made me kinda scared. Don't play the F.E.A.R xpacs though they fucking suck and are not canonical to the story (theres a true sequel in the works).

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

Doom 3 had cool graphics and a great atmosphere but the game play was shit. You could seriously just run around backwards and all the monsters would follow you in a single file line while you mowed them down. The final fight was a total letdown. I agree with Stormy, if you like the Doom storyline then you should play this one through once but otherwise you're not really missing anything.

I think you're a fan of the Heroes of Might and Magic series are you not? HoMM V is worth a shot, especially if you can get it from a bargain bin. You could just buy the last expansion, Tribes of the East, because it is stand alone but it doesn't have campaign missions for every faction.

That's about all I can recommend. Get Left 4 Dead when it comes out on Nov 20 and play with me and BigT.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

Warhammer Online :P
Don't hate me because I'm pwn

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

ZoSo wrote:Warhammer Online :P
You by far are the worst "you should buy this game!" person I know :P

I heard Crysis was a very good game to test the limits of your pc on.
The fleecy cloud may kiss the sky...the rose may kiss the butterfly...the morning dew may kiss the grass...and you, my friend, can kiss my ass!

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

OK, to clarify something, I don't intend to play Doom3 at all, I was merely using that game to make you understand how incredible long ago my computer became outdated!

Ok, so far I've got FarCry and HoMM V, and yes, I am a HoMM fan and will most definitely try it out! Love to play those games with my girlfriend or my brother, who both love those games as well.

FrCry my mate always talked about alot back in the day, but he mentioned it was a great game up until zombies or aliens or some crap like that came into the storyline and ruined the gameplay. I guess I can try it out though of course.

And I will most definitely NOT play Warhammer Online. I have come to the conclusion that all MMORPGS can suck on my shaved balls, I will not pay for doing the exact same thing over and over in absurdum, whilst being bombarded by retarded comments from all the twelve year olds who play the game with such zeal it makes everyone else look lame.

I'm also so fucking sick of the fact that all those games come across as if they will give you the game play and story line of your life, and then you always, ALWAYS, ends up hunting dire rats for their precious tails.. yay, 2 copper coins for reward! :roll:

MMORPG can never simulate a story line as single player or co-op campaings can, thus they will always be inferior to "normal" RPGs in pretty much all aspects except interaction with other players, but to be honest, that's pretty much a pain in the ass most of the times anyways..

Man, this really turned out into a long rant vs MMORPGs.

Back to subject though, is that all these last couple of years had to offer, HoMM V and FarCry? :)

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

no one plays MMO games for a story! the whole point of playing a MMO is to hang out with your guildies.
Don't hate me because I'm pwn

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

Bane, thank you for putting in word how i felt about mmo's

as for playing with guildies.. id rather pass a controller around, or split screen
but those are dying right now, alot less game have couch multiplayer mode
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

shiram wrote:Bane, thank you for putting in word how i felt about mmo's

as for playing with guildies.. id rather pass a controller around, or split screen
but those are dying right now, alot less game have couch multiplayer mode
So true. Had a ton of fun back in the day playing "hot-seat" in HoMM and stuff like that, heh..

I still enjoy playing an RPG story in co-op mode (over skype or something similar), like NVN, and I will play NVN2 with my mate methinks. We always play the same characters, he's an arrogant elf wizard and I'm a brutish dwarf warrior, and we always try to stay in character as much as possible. To me, that just adds so much to the experience, something that can not be done in an MMORPG, because if you try to stay in character and play as if it was actually an RPG, your character will suck ass, and the first dire rat you encounter will pwn your ass so hard, hehe...

Naah, I'm sticking to normal RPGs, that's why I really, really hope KotOR will stay as it has been.

Cheers,