its hard to give

Good friends. Good times. Open bar.

Moderators: Bane, shiram

shiram
Uber Nerd

its hard to give

Post by shiram »

yesterday a guy knocked on my door, he was from Oxfam, and i let him do his little speech, thought to myself its a good cause and whatnot
so i tell him i'l give some money, i was thinking about 5 bucks
but he lets me know i should instead sign a contract to have monthly payments automatically made from my bank account
fuck that, i dont want that
i just wanna give money to your cause once
so he says thats ok, and they accept it as well
but wait! they cant accept my 5$, they have a minimum giving number??
what the hell, im trying to give you money, and you refuse it cause you feell its not enough?? thats bullshit if you ask me
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

shortthang
Babajong

Post by shortthang »

just goes to show that not every little bit counts....its all or nothing for some people...

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Pft. I can't listen to those f00ls. I giv no monies. I trust no ones.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

RoboTurtle
Babajong

Post by RoboTurtle »

I absolutely refuse to sign up to give any charity money from my bank account on the street.
You are presented with a completely 1 sided view of the charity, and are guilt tripped into it.

I talked to the last guy who approached me, he worked for an agency that is hired by charities to sign people up- not directly for the charity. I got him to tell me some of the bad points about the charity as well as the good.
He told me they do get paid a commision. They are also 'mystery shopped', where people working for the charity/agency/another agency hired by the agency/charity pretends to be a member of the public and tests them. They are told to (obviously) only be positive about the charities.

I do need to give more to charity, but I won't sign up like that.

I guarantee you could go onto the street with a clipboard full of pictures of the 3rd world, with a well prepared speech and a laminated photo card round your neck and get at least one person's bank details.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

fact is, i rather give money to poor people here
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

"I'm a student" - that's my reply when I'm approached by people like that on the streets. Since most of'em are young people, they now the economical situation most students in sweden are in and leave me in peace.
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

TigerPrawn
ultranoob

Post by TigerPrawn »

Some lady at the concession stand at my local theater got me to buy 5 "imported" candy bars to help breast cancer... How can you say no to that? I think those guys get comission off of the bars they sell and I don't even know if it went to breast cancer research.