What're your favorite laptop features??

Where does he get those wonderful toys!?!?
RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

What're your favorite laptop features??

Post by RoamingMadness »

Okay, so I've had my new laptop for about a month and I couldn't be happier. I absolutely LOVE the island style keyboard. A friend of mine stays online all night, and she won't shut up about her glow in the dark volume controls. I know everyone has their own opinion on screen size. I personally love my larger laptop because I never take my laptop outside of my home and screen size is very comfortable to me.

So I'm wondering. What are some of the key features you look for in a laptop or notebook and why? I'm trying to put together a little blog article with this information, so any help would be greatly appreciated and I'd love to hear anything you've got to add.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Re: What're your favorite laptop features??

Post by Bane »

Well, there are of course the most essentiel things like performance (cpu speed, graphics and such) but my number one most wanted feature when looking for laptops is their ability to be mobile, meaning their battery lenght is of the essence. Last two my GF's had, one of which I was helping here choose, have had so sucky battery time that unplugging it from the cable and ltying in the sofa is almost not even worth trying.

Fuck flashing diods, cool colors, fancy buttons or a cool logo on the top - the answer is: battery lenght!

EDIT: Btw, it's the same thing with smart phones. What's the point of having a phone which can do absolutely everything if it's battery lenght is a constant bottle-neck?

Gimme a link if/when you post your article.
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Underclocking/computer your phone is a viable option. If you're like me, and you use phone for texting, email, podcasts, light internet and maps. Underclocking your phone by 20% or so can double your battery life.

If I ever get enough a big enough list I'll post it here. The problem is, most people don't really think about ANYTHING when they buy a laptop. I thought I was exclusively ignorant but apparently it's fairly universal.
But I'm not the only one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Actually never thought about underclocking, heh.. I'm not that gifted when it comes to such things though. Most of the times I go with the vanilla setup and at most I DL new video drivers twice a year, hehe..

I have a samsung galaxy SII phone now and it's battery is really good so far, lasting two full days with a couple of features tuned down or turned off (wifi/syncing/screen brightness). Lets just hope it'll last for a long time before deteriating.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Underclocking is easier than it sounds and a lot safer than overclocking(no danger of overheating, which is what normally breaks things when overclocking). Just google your model# or name of your product (computer or phone) and find a guide for overclocking and do the opposite. Or find out what the default settings are for your device and use them. (typically default settings for the hardware are minimal) then they 'clock' the device to make it the 'default' you end up purchasing.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll look into that with my GF's laptop. All we ever use it for anyways is random surfing and watching movies/series.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

been wanting to get a solid laptop but i keep putting it off, seems like the next great tech leap will happen ever few months so i never pull the trigger.

probably will bite once they get this ultrabook thing going, i'm not about to drop 1500+ on a mediocre computer, but once they get them down in price to the 700ish range i'll probably get one, being able to carry a lightweight, reasonably powerful pc with you is pretty nice if the battery life is good (like 8-12 hours). I know they're not ideal for gaming but the new intel ivybridge chips graphics are equivalent to a 9800gt i have read, so that could play some games reasonably but not at high settings. Desktop is for the good gaming settings though.