Nvidia drivers

Where does he get those wonderful toys!?!?
Bane
Uber Nerd

Nvidia drivers

Post by Bane »

Hola amigos,

I don't know jack shit about drivers these days. I was fairly informed, mainly due to my brothers knowledge, back in the day, but now I am noibier than ever.

So, I wonder if anyone of you have a fair amount of knowledge about htis kind of things? i just want to know if will make alot of difference if I update drivers? Back inte day when I had my old Gforce Ti200, or whatever it was called, chosing drivers made a world of difference. I guess it should be the same nowadays as well, I've just been too lazy (the card is fast enough so far) to look it up.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ and I think the current drivers are called 182.50 (I haven't touched it since I bought the comp almost a year ago, so I guess those are standard drivers).

Thanks in advance
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

im not that knowledgeable about drivers, but i'd be fairly certain that most of the time, updating them is a good thing
in rare cases it causes issues, and you can try to google for such issues before updating
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Re: Nvidia drivers

Post by Bane »

Does anyone else of you have a nvidia gf 9800 Gtx+ or similar? I tried to install the newest drivers for that card, 191.07 IIRC, but every time I tried, the screen just went black after rebooting. Now I'm on the newest beta drivers instead, which I normally never use. I prefer to use solid, fully functioning drivers rather than experimental, beta ones.

I have never experienced anything like that. I did it the way I always do, uninstall teh old ones, rebooting, installing, rebooting again, but this time it just didn't work? Weird shit.

So, the questions is simple, does anyone else use the same card or drivers and does they work for you?

Darius
Padawan

Post by Darius »

Using 190.62 with GTX 280 atm. No problems with the drivers, very solid, I must say. Vista displayed a possible update last time I installed security fixes but I'm happy with these drivers so I gave my OS the finger for the time being.
w w w . t h e w i t c h e r . c o m

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

i may have missed it, but did you get your drivers off the official website? nvidia.com?

they typically have the most up to date versions of drivers for all their products (and i believe older drivers too not 100% on that)

also you may have tried to install drivers for the wrong card, i think theres multiple versions of the 9800

cause for my card theres like 3 different styles of 8800gts with different amounts of onboard ram (not sure if they use different drivers though)

on another note my card is old i need to upgrade this shit!

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

I did download new drivers from the official site, and i have prolly updated them three times since I wrote that first post. I have also experienced better performance in some games, so yes, drivers do make a difference, hehe.. Though recently, the newest official drivers didn't work for me at all so i had to install the newest beta-drivers instead. They have been working flawlessly though.

And yes, you may need a new card, but maybe not yet.Personally I will wait until the "next gen" games are out, 'cause so far this card works good enough. I always try to wait and then buy the highest mid-tier card, the one who gives most bang for the buck.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

think i may just wait for the next gen cards then get a high end current-gen card cheap cause they'd only be a year or so behind and would still run everything flawlessly for like 100$

Darius
Padawan

Post by Darius »

IMHO, the current top cards won't drop that much anymore. The current's gen nVidia top cards like GTX 285 and 295 are still in super high demand (despite the success of the Radeon 5800/5900 series) and supply is really low (almost vaporware-ish) so once Fermi is released, there won't be a massive price drops of e.g. GTX 295, I think. The card will be definitely out of production, and there will be virtually no remaining stock to sell at a discount. Quite amusingly, "old" top-of-the-line cards sometimes even get more expensive when the next gen hits.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

I bought a 240 a couple weeks ago, no complaints although sc2 says it cant detect my drivers its clearly running the game flawlessly fine on High settings. Seemed like a good deal for $50
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Darius
Padawan

Post by Darius »

Got a GTX 480 now. Back to single GPU gaming after my brief adventure with GTX 295. The new card can be loud as hell but it has a lot of HP under the hood, no question about that. Usually I can max everything without a second thought. Some games do require specific IQ cuts of course, like GTA IV (viewing distance), JC2 (SSAO, too high AA), etc. A good buy though, I may have bought one of the first Fermis in Poland, if not the first one. A microscopic delivery to the largest PL e-tailer at the time of zero availability in entire Europe and minute-to-minute in-out availability at the Egg :) Availability is a bit better now, but EVGA SC is out of stock, and prices are way higher (soaring FX rates again).