Web Server

Where does he get those wonderful toys!?!?
Kadian
Jedi

Web Server

Post by Kadian »

I used a nice tutorial to setup a web server on my home computer, I don't know if this site is hosted on a home computer, but it easily could be with this tutorial. All you have to do is register your domain name and point it to your IP address for a normal website, but you can actually host a completely free website if you don't register a domain name (you just have to type in an IP address in a web browser). If anyone thinks it would be fun to host their own website I'll give you a link to the directions.

This tutorial uses Apache for creating the web server, but Microsoft's IIS is gaining in popularity too, I don't know about Microsoft, but this one is free.

http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/ ... 124212.php

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Oh, one other thing, I currently don't have a website put up, but it can be used just as a online file storage, you can view it like a regular file system if you don't have a web page, and access your files from anywhere.

According to another page he has posted there may be restrictions on hosting a public website from your home ISP, so read your TOS, but either way it could be used as a way to access your files from anywhere.

If your ISP allows it there is a tutorial on giving your server a domain name and creating a website.

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Ok just one more thing, this tutorial teaches you how to password protect your files (a good thing) but you wouldn't want that for a website, so......

Disclaimer.....
Whether you want a password or not I would suggest making sure you have good firewall protection and whatever other security you can think of, because opening your computer to the internet can always be risky.