Bootable Flash Drive?

Where does he get those wonderful toys!?!?
Kadian
Jedi

Bootable Flash Drive?

Post by Kadian »

I've been thinking lately about how cool it would be to make a bootale flash drive with XP installed on it, I'm really tempted to try it. Just think how much faster your PC would run if there was no huge disks to spin up and search, everything would be almost instant. It never seemed possible until the price of 32GB flash drives became so affordable. Also just think about how you wouldn't need a cd burner or anything because you could take your entire computer with you anywhere. The only problem I think might come up is the need to have 2 flash drives in case you lose one or break it, since it won't be safely tucked in you computer. It probably should be set up like a server with 2 redundant drives, or you could just back it up regularly to a normal hard drive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BNIB-32-gb-FLASH-DR ... dZViewItem
(check out the data transfer rates!)

There are also 64GB drives coming out but they are still very highly priced (about $5000 last time I saw), but they will come down eventually. Of course this may not work for those of you who fill your hard drives with music and movies, etc. Although it could be used in combination with a hard drive for large file storage..... Many interesting possibilities.

http://www.calibex.com/Buslink-BDP2-64G ... rices-html

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

you could always find a way to mount the usb slot, and drive in your computer
it really shouldnt be too hard
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

It could be easily done, depends if you want to be able to take it with you easily or if you just want to leave it in there.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

There are a few unix applications which already do this. For example, check out PHLAK. Im not sure if it could be done with windows, but it would be a pain in the ass to modify to do this. At least, i think it would.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

32gb flash drives? am i thinking of the right thing here? i got a 2gb flash drive for like 50$ a year ago, but seriously 32gb? thats like 1/3 of my normal HD space =/