I think I made a decision...

Where does he get those wonderful toys!?!?
Genie
Jedi

I think I made a decision...

Post by Genie »

I think I decided on a pc im gonna buy. Few things about this pc thats really given me the reason to buy it. 1: Its got everything in it sans video card that I could possibly need off the starting block. 2: I can pick it up from work, as opposed to waiting for shipment (In other words, I can have it hooked up and running a day after I get the cash to pay for it, as opposed to waiting for shipment after payment is made.

Click me!

This is pretty much the pc im getting, cept im getting it with 512mb RAM and for aboot a hunnr' dollars less.

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

512 RAM...with Vista.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!1!!!!11!ONE!11!1!!!!

Vista....Home Edition....Basic....BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Compaq.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

If I dont like Vista, I remove it. Simple as that.
Im gonna order a gig stick off Ebay I think, 46 dollars.

Also, on a side note, can you guys clarify the issue here; if I put a gig stick in with a 512 stick, will the gig work, or will the system only run at 512 capabilities?

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

If you put a gig stick in with a half a gig, it will run at 1.5 gig, you will not lose anything. You're thinking of what happens if you put in a pc333 with a pc100 chip, it will run at the slowest speed, not the lowest capacity.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Just make sure you get a comp with 3 RAM slots. Then imo you should buy another 512.. wait a couple months.. then buy a stick of 1gb.. then you're up to 2gb with minimal investment

having said that.. i planned that when i bought this computer.. and im stil running 512
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

I plan on running at 512 for a week or so after I get the new system settled in. Im planning on purchasing a gig stick online (Ebay seems to have people selling them for relatively cheap, running PC2-4200 DDR2 chips at 46 before taxes/shipping)

SiC cLoWn
Babajong

Post by SiC cLoWn »

With the money invested in the comcrap, you could buy a better rig straight from new egg in parts, or a barebones. Look it up yourself, AMD Socket 939 or even AM2 is about the same price for superiority over P4.

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

meh, not worried about it.
Im gonna try getting a small cheddar account set up to build me a custom gaming rig later down the road. I am just tired of dealing with this slow pain-in-the-ass system im running on now. Its far too old to handle half the stuff I attempt to do now.

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

Genie wrote:meh, not worried about it.
Im gonna try getting a small cheddar account set up to build me a custom gaming rig later down the road. I am just tired of dealing with this slow pain-in-the-ass system im running on now. Its far too old to handle half the stuff I attempt to do now.
He's running a Apple IIe on a 56K modem right now.

He recently upgraded the modem. :lol:
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

I got a loan off the old man (He conned me into it)
new systems sitting on the floor in the living room, im gonna go unpack it when I backup all the important shit I needs. :|

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

happy new puter!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Shaz
Babajong

Post by Shaz »

shiram wrote:happy new puter!
Werd 2 dat!
"Environmentalism as a metaphysical ideology and as a worldview has absolutely nothing to do with natural sciences or with the climate."

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

So far, ive only had a run in with 2 major problems. 1 problem I got fixed, the other im in the middle of redoing.

They both revolve around Star Wars Galaxies though. see, the new PC runs Vista, and since 99% of everything I own and thats on the market has some weird conflict with Vista in one form or another. Anywho, SWG's launchpad would not run completely for the life of me. I had to go check the Sony tech support to read how to get it to operate (which was simple AND I now know for future references.)

The second problem I had was that I had given Vista rights to auto download updates when it sees fit, and didnt realize when and where it decides. So halfway through downloading the updates for SWG (to be completed at 7AM this morning) it decided to auto update Vista, and had to reboot...

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

doest it ask if you wanna reboot... it does in xp, and i dont see why it would force reboot on you?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

It musta, cause the download for galaxies never finished. :|

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

I just did a check on NVidia.com for the drivers used in Vista for my video card. 54mb file that'll have to wait til later :|

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

New update on Vista; just because it says it downloads the updates to SWG doesnt mean it SAVED the updates to SWG...
HORSECRAP! >.<