Helps

Where does he get those wonderful toys!?!?
Bane
Uber Nerd

Helps

Post by Bane »

So, I'm plannign on getting a new comp soon, finally has some monies to spent on cpu. I don't have enought to make it the best of the best, buts i want really good shitt that won't rape my wallet. amy suggestions? I would appreciate to get some info on what yuou think i should buy, and dont catre all to much about prices cause theyr different(i think cheaper) in swedenthan in USA . What I want is to buy a cpu that can last well for a a few years, good but not awersome, releiabvle. somethiong that can play medeiaval2 which is the only game I really want to play and thats also can play nwererr gamesthatwill come in the futurer. whaT PROCESSIOR IS GOOD? AMD? WHAT MHZ? WHAT GRAPHIXS CARD TO GET? MEMORIES? APPERENTLY VISTA IS COMING NEXT YE0AR IPROR MAYBE THIS FALL, AND GF CARDS WITOOUT DX 10 WILL BE OBSOKUTE FASSTLY. IS IT WISE TOWAIT PERHAPS? fuck capslock, dont want to delete and rewreite.

wel, i liek whusky :D no school tyomorrow, GF is visiting her parents, so whusky and more whusky to me
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

Over the summer I built myself one

AMD Athlon 64 bit dual core processor 4800+
Asus A8N-SLI premium motherboard
Geforce 7900 GT
1280 RAM (Do need more)
300 Gig HD
550 W PSU
Case
DvD burner

$1250

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Ok, sry for writing like a retard in my first post, but what I want to know is why you choosed what you did. Which stuff did you choose from and why did you end up buying those things? What gf cards did ya contemplate before making your decision? Pros/cons and all that.

I'm so out of the loop nowadays, it's not even funny. Have almost no insight in the world of computer related stuff, not pricing nor performance.

Which processor lies just below the top, gives good performance but doesn't cost too much?--> the one you choosed? Same with GF-cards and all other? I don't care 'boot a cool and expensive shell, just reliable and functional. Wanna keep the prices down as much as possible w/o sacrificing too much performance.
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Im going to suggest a few general 'rules' imo.

1. Spend money on the processor. Since you won't but upgrading it, this is where the bulk of the money should go.
2. Make sure it has at least 3 slots of RAM.
3. Get 1GB stick of ram. Not two 512s. That way you can upgrade it easily to at least 3GB. It'll last you longer for less money.
4. Get a floppy drive. You never need it.. until something goes wrong. And then you REALLY need it.
5. Buy as much HD as you really need/can get affordably. I've only got 80 and thats too low for me now.. but it took me a couple years to fill it and the prices have gone way down. So now im upgrading.

I wouldnt suggest going below 160.

Dont waste money on things like speakers, sound cards, liquid cooling systems, extra power watts, lights, programs, etc etc.

And if you can build it yourself, of course do that. You'll save a lot on shipping.

That's all i gotta say about that.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

SiC cLoWn
Babajong

Post by SiC cLoWn »

I have to totally disagree with #4. You will not need a floppy in your lifetime if you are building a new computer. Most new motherboards these days dont require one for bios upgrades or when making a boot up disk. A lot of the time you'll find that all motherboard software can be upgraded directly from your desktop, regardless of having to download and install it, or done automaticcaly thru the initial drivers and such that come with it. And if worse comes to worse, you can just do a boot up cd. Back on topic, he's right. Spend some good money on a processor, if you can afford an AMD X2 or FX do it. If not, a regualr AMD 64bit 2.0Ghz or better, should do the job fine with that 1 stick of RAM. Just be sure to get the reccomended memory speed for your RAM depending on your motherboard. Which brings me to another point. If you want really good performance, you should look into the AM2 slot AMD motherboards and not the Socket 939. Much faster RAM can be used on the AM2 compared to the older 939. Look into yourself! :D

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Floppy drives cost, literally like $4. Get one.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

I have not had a floppy drive installed for about 3 years and have never wished I had one, skip it.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

i used one, in the past year, cause i thought my hard drive had a problem
beyond that... i uninstalled it, as its not esthitic
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.