My turn for a new laptop

Where does he get those wonderful toys!?!?
Kadian
Jedi

My turn for a new laptop

Post by Kadian »

Got a laptop from that dell outlet site I mentioned in the last new laptop topic, it was a scratch and dent item, so we'll see how it looks (they don't tell you what the scratch and/or dent is when you buy it). Here's what it has..

Studio 17 (1735) Laptop:
-Intel Core 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
-4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)
-Back-lit Keyboard
-250 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) (wish it was 7200RPM)
-256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (1 step up from standard)
-17 inch WXGA+ TrueLife Glossy Laptop Screen
-Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
-Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
-8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
-9 Cell Primary Battery
-Integrated Finger Print Reader

With shipping and tax it was just over $800, but I've seen them cheaper if you get the 6 cell battery and don't get the finger print reader and back-lit keyboard, but since it's the outlet site I took what I could get... Can't wait to get it, I need it to edit video's and stuff from my new HD video camera....

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Got it today, it's oh so good....

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

What are the scratches and dents like?
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

It took me a while to even find anything, and all I found was a tiny scratch on the top, barely noticable...

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

I've had some time to play with Vista now and I have to say that it's better than I expected. I was really an XP fan, but now I think Vista is the way to go, especially now that SP1 is out....

Shaz
Babajong

Post by Shaz »

Yeah, I've been much more impressed with Vista than I was with XP.

My primary complaint with XP was the need to do a full format/reinstall about every 6 months if you wanted to keep any kind of reasonable boot time and performance at all.

Vista is a hog right from the get go, but doesn't seem to have the same gradual slowdown that every version of XP that I ever used seemed to be plagued with. A few tweaks to the security settings so it would quit bitching at me to confirm every little thing, and I've been happy with Vista on the whole.
"Environmentalism as a metaphysical ideology and as a worldview has absolutely nothing to do with natural sciences or with the climate."

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

I haven't had Vista long enough to experience any deteriation, like Xp did, just like you said Shir.

Back in the day I sued to have XP on it's one partial drive, so that I could format C: and re-install every six months or so. When I bought this new comp the bastards had already installed my Vista and I was to lazy to uninstall, make the partitions, and re-install the way I like it, so hopefully it won't deterioate, hehe :)
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???