Home Theater

Where does he get those wonderful toys!?!?
Kadian
Jedi

Home Theater

Post by Kadian »

In a few months I will be working on setting up a home theater in my basement, including a movie projector, screen, stereo receiver, sub, center channel, and seating. I have the other surround speakers already installed. Does anybody have any knowledge about what's good, yet affordable?

I may have to do it in stages to keep from spending too much at once, probably starting with the receiver, sub, and center channel so I can at least hook up my 42" plasma to it and have sweet movie sound.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Buy your own pieces. It'll be way cheaper than buying a set up. Thats the only advice i can give you.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Lol, that was the plan all along...

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

i bought a home theather in a box...
cause im in an apartment, its quite fine actually
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

PeteyBoy23
Cannon Fodder

Post by PeteyBoy23 »

HIJACK!

I'd like to learn a bit about home theatre. Getting a new Sony TV soon, and I'd LOVE to couple it with a decent (not too pricey) sound system.

ThePluq
ultranoob

Post by ThePluq »

PeteyBoy23 wrote:HIJACK!

I'd like to learn a bit about home theatre. Getting a new Sony TV soon, and I'd LOVE to couple it with a decent (not too pricey) sound system.
I got this and ive had no complaints yet. I think it cost me 200 or so from good ol' walmart. Granted i know nothing about home stereo systems.

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

My problem (not really a problem) is that my house came with very nice in wall speakers already set up in the basement, so all I need is the sub, receiver, and center, so buying a set like that would be dumb. So if anyone has a sweet receiver that they think I should check out or something let me know.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

i guess you can look at if it does dolby sound and dts

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Dunno know much about this, but two of my friends who are super-duper serious when it comes to sound quality, says yamaha makes the best receivers.. One thing I do know tho, they are quite pricey :-/ May be worth looking into tho?
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

That's good to know, I'll check'em out.

PeteyBoy23
Cannon Fodder

Post by PeteyBoy23 »

Thoughts on...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... 1321&Q=&O=

Yes, it'd be a low-end home audio, but just curious what you guys thought?

I'd really like to get something decent, so when we watch movies we have nice sound, and not shit from the TV speakers :(

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

well this set has no receiver, so thats a separate buy, and inflates that price
i think their might be issues with sound format as well... can it play dts and dolby
do you want a separate dvd player with it? and if so, how many discs? 1, 3 or 5?

most home theater will improve on a tv's sound, but to me thats not reason enough to buy a cheaper model
mind you i havent gone to extrem either
i bought mine for about 400$, 5 discs, 5.1, 700 watts, dolby digital, dts 5.1 and all that jazz. it also plays a real wide range of formats, allowing for ease of use with burnt dvd's and other such media

PeteyBoy23
Cannon Fodder

Post by PeteyBoy23 »

Shir, thanks bud.

See that's what I was wondering about with buying a new sound system, if it included a DVD player, I wanna be sure it plays everything. The phillips one I have ($60 dvd player) plays everything. I could burn a video file onto a disc and it'll play it. In fact, the newer version of it will operate from a usb thumb drive. That being said, I'd love to get a new DVD player that upconverts standard DVD to 1080p. The fewer the devices I have around the TV, the better. I don't need a dvd changer, just a single disc would be just fine for me.

I apologize for turning this thread into advice for myself, but I *really* would appreciate some help in this department. I don't know anything. Thank you fellas :)

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

Use this link if you want to quickly find out all the formats the particular DVD player in question will read. Also shows CD compatibility

Just plug in the model number

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers