nfl international?

You can just make that out to cash.

Moderators: flint, Styrofoam

flint
Jedi

nfl international?

Post by flint »

Theres been a lot of talk about a Super Bowl in London with the Giants-Fins game coming up. I think there is a huge potential in allowing not only games to be played in other countries but perhaps a couple of international teams. After all, the largest attendance ever for an NFL game was in Mexico City.

Heres an idea for international teams. I don't think expanding the league would be a good idea, I like having 32 teams. That means franchises will relocate outside of the country instead of creating new teams. I looked at a couple of factors including history, fan base, current state of the franchise, and so on.

Buffalo to Toronto: this one is obvious and being talked about a lot. 40% of Buffalo season ticket holders are Canadian.

Jacksonville to London: Sorry Styro, but no one in the universe gives a shit about the Jags. You can't find a poll conducted that doesn't have the Jags as the smallest fan base. They're also at the bottom in net worth and have no real history to speak of. They might be winners but thats not enough.

Arizona to Mexico City: The NFL's oldest franchise has a long history of people not caring about them. I don't really think this would happen though because they just built that sweet ass new stadium. Maybe Houston can be moved instead.

New Orleans to ?? Maybe another city in Canada?: Saints have shitty fans, shitty ownership, and a shitty team. College football is religion in the south so the Saints really won't be missed.

other possibilities: Houston, Baltimore

I think probably the biggest obstacle to an international football league would be the other teams in the same division as the foreign squads complaining about traveling to much (mostly just with London though). Well actually I think the biggest obstacle would be Americans who don't want to let other nations in on the fun, but I, personally, think it would be a good idea. What do you guys think about opening the nfl to international teams?
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

I think I like the idea, but a London team might be too difficult. London could easily start up a Euro league, and if they need to leach off the NFL's success I guess each league could have their own Super Bowl, and the winners could play in an international Super Bowl.

Buffalo to Toronto is a given, and I think Arizona to Mexico (whatever city) is a good idea. I don't see Houston moving right now, but I guess if Arizona just built a new stadium I don't see them moving either. New Orleans might be a good team to move, they could go to Mexico or whatever.

I think that the biggest obstacle is probably leaving several stadiums behind, because if you figure the average stadium is around $200 mil if you move even 3 teams your looking at over half a billion down the pisser. Not to mention the risk of pissing off what fans you do have and not gaining many more if the new city doesn't care. Still, I think the exception is Buffalo, after all, why does New York (state) need 3 football teams anyway, it's no wonder they have no fans.

Styrofoam
Nerd

Re: nfl international?

Post by Styrofoam »

flint wrote:Theres been a lot of talk about a Super Bowl in London with the Giants-Fins game coming up. I think there is a huge potential in allowing not only games to be played in other countries but perhaps a couple of international teams. After all, the largest attendance ever for an NFL game was in Mexico City.

Heres an idea for international teams. I don't think expanding the league would be a good idea, I like having 32 teams. That means franchises will relocate outside of the country instead of creating new teams. I looked at a couple of factors including history, fan base, current state of the franchise, and so on.

Buffalo to Toronto: this one is obvious and being talked about a lot. 40% of Buffalo season ticket holders are Canadian.

Jacksonville to London: Sorry Styro, but no one in the universe gives a shit about the Jags. You can't find a poll conducted that doesn't have the Jags as the smallest fan base. They're also at the bottom in net worth and have no real history to speak of. They might be winners but thats not enough.

Arizona to Mexico City: The NFL's oldest franchise has a long history of people not caring about them. I don't really think this would happen though because they just built that sweet ass new stadium. Maybe Houston can be moved instead.

New Orleans to ?? Maybe another city in Canada?: Saints have shitty fans, shitty ownership, and a shitty team. College football is religion in the south so the Saints really won't be missed.

I think probably the biggest obstacle to an international football league would be the other teams in the same division as the foreign squads complaining about traveling to much (mostly just with London though). Well actually I think the biggest obstacle would be Americans who don't want to let other nations in on the fun, but I, personally, think it would be a good idea. What do you guys think about opening the nfl to international teams?
not going to happen. If jacksonville moves anywhere it will be to LA. Houston will not be moving. its one of hte largest tv markets in the USA. if anything, then teams will be added, not moved, to many of those locations. I do believe there will be 4 added teams within the next 10 years.... 1 in europe 2 in canada and 1 in mexico.
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

yea you're right about teams being added before being moved but I just think the league is a little watered down as it is and adding more teams would not help
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Styrofoam
Nerd

Re: nfl international?

Post by Styrofoam »

Styrofoam wrote:
flint wrote:Theres been a lot of talk about a Super Bowl in London with the Giants-Fins game coming up. I think there is a huge potential in allowing not only games to be played in other countries but perhaps a couple of international teams. After all, the largest attendance ever for an NFL game was in Mexico City.

not going to happen. If jacksonville moves anywhere it will be to LA. Houston will not be moving. its one of hte largest tv markets in the USA. if anything, then teams will be added, not moved, to many of those locations. I do believe there will be 4 added teams within the next 10 years.... 1 in europe 2 in canada and 1 in mexico.
as for history...how much history can a team who's been in the league for 12 years have? How about 2 AFC title trips in its first 5 years in existance. Give jacksonville time....they are building a fan base.
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

Theres already a European football league (american football)

but its mostly composed of washed up NFL players and people not good enough for the NFL.

and it may not exist anymore, but i definitely did a report on the EFL in high school.

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

NFL Europe just folded up this year

so yea