Fantasy Football

You can just make that out to cash.

Moderators: flint, Styrofoam

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

The alternative is Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels... Favre should have no prob putting up more than 117 yards/game (Jackson's average last year)

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

With Favre the Jets averaged 220 passing yards and 125 rushing yards per game while the Vikings averaged 200 passing yards per game. and 145 rushing yards per game. The Jets threw the ball about 77 more times than the Vikings over the course of the season. Given 77 more attempts at the same completion rate and yards per completion that they averaged over the course of the season the Vikings would have finished with about 234 passing yards per game. Of course to do that the Vikings would need to cut down on their number of rushes so you would expect the rushing yards to dip down to what the Jets accomplished. I think it just goes to show how similar the situations are and why I don't expect Favre to help the Vikings pretty much at all.

Even the turnover situation is similar. Favre threw 22 interceptions and fumbled 10 times. Tarvaris Jackson only threw for 117 yards per game but he threw 9 tds to 2 intercetions and fumbled 7 times. His passer rating was better than Favre's by 15 points (95.4 to 81.0). Frerotte threw 15 interceptions and fumbled 4 times. The Vikings did marginally better at keeping turnovers down and were more efficient throwing the ball than Favre though they threw it less often overall.

Maybe the west coast scheme that Childress runs will help Favre out a lot but I really don't see him making teams respect the pass. The Vikings still only have the third best qb in the division right now after Cutler and Rodgers. And, like Crow said, the Vikings don't protect their quarterback well. Favre was sacked 30 times in New York and the Vikings qbs were sacked 43 times.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

When every team you are playing has the #1 priority of locking down Adrian Peterson, then your QB should be able to emerge as a threat. Favre is a different caliber player than Tarvaris. Teams will not look at the vikings passing potential the same as they did last year.

When Favre took over for the Jets, he improved Thomas Jones' rushing game. Jone's actually had less carries in 2008 and was still able to post more rushing yards compared to the 2007 season. Favre was able to post almost twice the amount of yardage than Pennington, and more than twice the amount of TDs.

That is what he brings to the table. He will compliment the Vikings running game much better than Tarvaris or Rosenfels.

Oh, and the vikings averaged 185 yards passing per game, no need to inflate.

Also, I am not some Favre nut, but I, like the Vikings, see that Favre gives the team the best opportunity this season.

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

They know Favre, every team the Vikes will play have seen him before. They know he'll bomb it out to a triple covered guy and try to make a miracle happen.

He's old and predictable thats why he threw 10 int's in his last 5 games.
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

Keith, the Vikings passed for 200 yards per game. However, the official NFL stat page subtracts yards lost due to sacks from total passing yards. If you want to say that the Vikings only threw for 185 yards per game then you also need to allow that the Jets only threw for 205 yards per game after adjusting for yards lost from sacks. The difference is the same, just 20 yards per game.

Also, you keep comparing Favre to qbs who did not play a full season. In 2007 Pennington only played in 9 games and started 8 of them. Extrapolated over 16 starts Pennington would have thrown 20 tds to 18 ints with 10 fumbles, though less yards. There is no way to spin a big statistical leap in offense for the Jets as a result of Brett Favre throwing the ball.

You mentioned that Thomas Jones had a career year with Favre on the team, but did that really have anything to do with Favre? The Jets gave up 53 sacks the year before which was 4th worst in the league. With a strengthened offensive line the Jets cut that number almost in half to 30. Giving up more sacks signifies a worse offensive line, though not always. And, if Favre was taking the pounding the previous Jets qbs were his numbers would have dipped even worse. It isn't as clear cut but I honestly don't think Favre helped Jones out that much.

The Jets are also just an up and down kind of team that were due for an up year (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/ to look at past seasons). In the Pennington era the Jets alternated winning and losing seasons every year. Last season with Favre continued the trend, and judging by the end of year collapse if Favre was still with the Jets they would be pretty bad next year.

Beyond that, are the Vikings really going to benefit from a stronger running game? They were already #1 in the league. Favre is not being brought in to give Adrian Peterson a career year, he is being brought in to bring balance to an offense that struggles to throw the ball. I don't see how he is going to do that. He is going to a team that has worse receivers and gave up more sacks than the team he was already on. He is also another year older after a season in which he completely tanked in the second half due to his physical limitations.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

first names emphasize your seriousness

BigT
ultranoob

Re: Fantasy Football

Post by BigT »

Vikings already clinched a playoff spot and will most likely get home field advantage.
Packers maybe will make a wild card.

It don't matter if you throw for 50 yards a game or 300 yards a game, if you win, you win.

Stats only matter in fantasy football.
Super Bowl Rings matter in real football.

Also just to rub it in anyways, this is shaping up to be his best year, if not one of the top 3 years for him. He is avg 261 yards a game, already his 3rd best, his 5th best year total yards wise and that will probably move up to 3rd after the regular season is over, and he has thrown fewer interceptions than any other year by a lot. Also he has the second best QB rating right now.

And he will be my man win me the championships!
When you don't care about the outcome everything becomes easier.