09 football predictions

You can just make that out to cash.

Moderators: flint, Styrofoam

Kadian
Jedi

09 football predictions

Post by Kadian »

Well, we seem to do this ever year, so this year I'll start, and as always I don't know as much as some football fans, so I'll stick to the few things I know....

1. You probably know I'm in Green Bay, so I'll start with this.... Packers will dominate the NFC North, and I think they have a really good shot at the Super Bowl.

2. Vikings aren't all they are cracked up to be, yeah A.P. will have good runs, and yeah, Favre will have a good game here and there, but no consistant wins in my opinion. (especially at the end of the season and/or playoffs)

3. T.O. will not have a good season, he should have stuck with Dallas.

4. New England will have a comeback (at least somewhat) and have a good season.

5.Miami will have a good season (whatever that might mean)

6. Lions will still suck, but won't go 0-16 (obviously that would be crazy)...

7. Cowboys will start strong as usual, but as usual we can't predict what will happen later in the year... (except the lack of a Super Bowl appearance)

That's all I got so far, I need to watch more games to get more info....

Styrofoam
Nerd

Post by Styrofoam »

NFC north:

Packers - 11-5
Vikings 10-6 (wild card)
bears 8-8
Lions 3-13

NFC East:
Giants 13-3
Eagles 10-6 (wild card)
Cowboys 9-7
redskins 7-9

NFC South:
Falcons 10-6
Saints 9-7
Panthers 6-10
Bucs 4-12

NFC West:
Cardinals 11-5
seahawks 8-8
49ers 5-11
Rams 2-14

AFC North:
Steelers 12-4
Ravens 10-6 (wild card)
Bengals 8-8
Browns 5-11

AFC East:
Patriots 15-1
Jets 7-9
Bills 7-9
Dolphins 6-10

AFC South:
Texans 11-5
Colts 10-6 (wild card)
Titans 9-7
Jaguars 5-11

AFC West:
Chargers 10-6
Broncos 8-8
Raiders 4-12
Chiefs 3-13

NFC: Playoffs: Wildcard round: Vikings over Packers, Eagles over Falcons. Divisional: Giants over Vikings Cardinals over Eagles. NFCCG: Giants over Cardinals.

AFC Playoffs: Wildcard: Texans over Ravens Chargers over Colts. Divisional: Patriots over Chargers, Steelers over Texans. AFCCG: Patriots over steelers.

Superbowl: Rematch Patriots over Giants.

This is my prediction. With the rams getting the first overall pick and taking Sam Bradford out of Oklahoma with it, or trading it to Jacksonville and they'll pick up Bradford.
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

I'm just gonna give one little blurb for each division.

1. Denver is headed for a top 5 draft pick and could easily be the worst team in the league this year. Josh McDaniels is treading "worst head coach ever" territory depending on the play of Cutler and how the Broncos play this year.

2. When Matt Schaub goes down Rex Grossman lights it up causing talk of a qb controversy.

3. Flacco regresses. Palmer will be good but he won't be considered among the league's elite. Marvin Lewis finally loses his job.

4. AFC East as a division regresses big time. The Pats won't let the Dolphins steal one again. Ronnie Brown still sucks but the guys on ESPN will continue to rank him among the leagues elite.

5. 49ers once again fail to live up to the hype, Frank Gore fails to live up to the hype. This entire division is doody-poop.

6. Deangelo Williams comes back down to Earth. Talk starts about whether or not Sean Payton should keep his job after another middling year by the Saints.

7. Bears win the NFC North.

8. Eagle's defense won't be elite again after losing a HoF defensive coordinator and their 'coordinator on the field' Brian Dawkins. I doubt either Zorn or Campbell will be back after another 7 to 8 win season. Tony Romo becomes mediocre after losing T.O.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

flint wrote:Ronnie Brown still sucks but the guys on ESPN will continue to rank him among the leagues elite.
What??? I've grabbed Ronnie Brown in the Fantasy League pretty much every time and he has been a consistent performer when Miami uses him (or he doesn't get injured)... The only difference between him and a star like Adrian Peterson is that he doesn't get as many reps because they have another good RB, his average is usually around 4.3 yards per carry, with some higher years closer to Peterson's recent numbers, he was on track for a career high season when he got injured 2 years ago, 602 yards in only 7 games and 5.1 yards per carry, then last year they made him share the reps, but still a good season...
flint wrote: 7. Bears win the NFC North.
I know they got a better QB, but I don't see how you can possibly expect this, obviously I have my opinion about my home town team, but realistically it has to be either the Packers or the Vikings, let's just say that when the star of your team is a kick returner you are probably in rough shape....

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Oh, and I can't imagine Rex Grossman ever "lighting it up"...

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

Ronnie played well in 07 before the injury, but thats about it. Last year he ran for 100 yards in 3 games and 70 yards or less in the other 13. He scored 10 rushing tds, 4 of which came in a single game, which means in the other 15 games he scored 6 times. His first two seasons are not impressive at all so I wont even go into them. Career averages are 67 rushing yards and 0.45 rushing tds per game at a clip of 4.4 yards per carry. Take away the outlier (the first appearance of the Wildcat against New England when he scored 5 tds and never had another game even close to that) and last year you have a running back who ran for 803 yards, received 245 yards, and scored 6 tds in 15 games. In fantasy he was in the single digits for 6 of his last 7 games and 10 of 16 overall. ACL tears are not easy for RBs to get over so I doubt there will ever be a return to 07 for Ronnie. I guess saying he sucks was a bit harsh because hes not like Cedric Benson or anything but hes far, far away from being league elite. Regarding fantasy he averages a little over 10 points per game which is something you expect from a backup rb not a starter.

Also I don't know why you see the Bears as a distant third in that division, and I REALLY don't see why you think Grossman is incapable of lighting it up. You've never heard people refer to him as Good Rex/Bad Rex? His reputation is as a bipolar qb. He dominates every game but you just don't know if hes going to shit on his own team or the other. Here is a link to his game logs, there are some really good games on there. If he is capable of that with the Bear's supporting cast imagine what he could do with Andre Johnson, Kevin Walters, Owen Daniels, and Steve Slaton (especially coming off the bench without people gameplanning for him). I am not saying he is going to become a consistent top level performer, I just think when he gets a chance to play he is going to make the most of it in Houston and Matt Schaub WILL give him that chance.

But back to the Bears - they were 9-7 last year, they split with both the Packers and the Vikings, and they are the team in the division that improved the most to me. Aaron Rodgers is good but if you ask me Jay Cutler is the best qb in that division. I also don't think the Packers or Vikings really did much to improve this year. B.J. Raji was a beast in college but DTs don't often make an impact their rookie year. Cushing could be good right away but after that theres a lot of rookies who might not even make the team let alone improve the defense significantly.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

I stand by my opinion of Ronnie Brown. When they use him his is great, and now that the injury is further in the past I expect him to have a great year (again, that's if they chose to use him more often).

Ronnie Brown, 214 attempts, 10 TD's, 916 yards, 4.3 average
Adrian Peterson (MIN), 363 attempts, 10 TD's, 1760 yards, 4.8 average
L.T., 292 attempts, 11 TD's, 1110 yards, 3.8 average

I think the stats look fine to me, taking away his best game doesn't really make sense. If you just look at the main stats I think it shows that if given the number of attempts that the other elite RB's get he would have just as good or better stats. Only Derrick Ward had more yards than him with less attempts, and only 2 others had more TD's with less attempts, I think that puts him right up there with the elites in my book. His ending numbers will all depend on how much they use him.

As far a Rex goes, whatever, maybe he will be better with a better team, but I don't see him being anything other than an average QB who happens to occasionally have a really good game (don't most of them have great games once in a while?). Maybe he won't have so many "Bad" games with this team.

That's all just opinion though, but I know Rodgers will play better than Cutler, Rodgers is in his second year starting, and he is way more comfortable than last year, Cutler on the other hand is starting with a whole new team, sure he's good enough to still play well, but he won't top Rodgers I'm sure... The fantasy leagues predicted stats also agrees with me on this one... But I will give you the possibility that the Bears do better than the Vikings, assuming Green Bay takes first.

Last year both QB's played all 16 game, Rodgers average QB rating-93.8, Cutler-86, even though Green Bay had a worse record... That's all I'll say about it...

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Last words on Ronnie Brown
flint wrote:He scored 10 rushing tds, 4 of which came in a single game, which means in the other 15 games he scored 6 times.
Adrian Peterson scored only 6 times in 14 games last year, with two games scoring twice each, and he's considered the best by most right now.
flint wrote:Regarding fantasy he averages a little over 10 points per game which is something you expect from a backup rb not a starter.
I wouldn't suggest using him as your one and only star running back based on the fact that he doesn't play as much sometimes, I usually put him in when they predict he will have a good game and when he is starting, and it usually turns out good.

Styrofoam
Nerd

Post by Styrofoam »

Vikings looked really good behind Adrian Peterson and brett looked passable.

Cutler looks shaky and as expected the lack of a solid option at WR is hurting him.

Aaron Rogers need to make a step up. With jennings, lee, and driver there is no reason he can't put up big numbers

jacksonville's D surprised me. keeping manning to only 14 points, but their O is still looking shaky.

Pats looked against the bills and were lucky to win. The raiders looked improved. the 9ers w/o Crabtree pulling off a win was the surprise of the week for me.
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

It's like some of the commentators were saying, Brett will probably be ok as long as he depends more on Peterson than on throwing the long ball like he did in Green Bay.

Rodgers is still looking like last year, he looks great in practice and pre-season, but come game time he doesn't seem to be able to put it all together. To defend him a little there were a few well thrown dropped balls.

Cutler looked horrible, but it's hard to have your first start as a Bear by going into Lambeau Field for a prime-time opening day game.

I watched part of the 49ers game, they looked to better than in the last few years, but it's still early in the season.

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

Cutler needs to go away, three throws, two near interceptions and one interception... IN A ROW. Jonny Jolly intercepted a throw and that guy is like 900 pounds.
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

Crow
Jedi

Re: 09 football predictions

Post by Crow »

09 prediction...

Half the teams won't pull guys who aren't starting or on bye week for the third straight year...

IT CAME TRUE!
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina