Mid-Season "wow" factor.

You can just make that out to cash.

Moderators: flint, Styrofoam

Styrofoam
Nerd

Mid-Season "wow" factor.

Post by Styrofoam »

AFC:

Anyone really suprised with how the East is playing out? Pats are far and away the best team in football, and the division is playing out as I predicted it. Pats, Bills, Jets, Dolphins..... They are sayign the bills have an outside chance at the playoffs, but they are 2 games behind the leaders.

The west is wide open. With the chargers in front, I think the biggest disappointment is the Broncos, although, I had a feeling they would be a bust this year. Opening the season 2-2 with both victories coming on the last play... This is your AFC champion flint. They aren't doing so hot, and i don't see them being an elite team this year...or next for that matter.

The North is also a suprise. The browns have made a HUGE statement. They are only 1 game out of the wildcard race behind Jacksonville and Tenn, and they have a VERY soft schedual to end the season. It would not suprise me to see them in the playoffs if the jags or titans stumble down the road... The Steelers are as good as any team not named the patriots this year, and could even upset them. They have the defense to do it...

The south is about what i thought it would be, with the colts on top and the jags right behind them. The Jags are a hurt QB away from winning against the colts (imo). The titans are a surprise, but they are winning in SPITE of Vince Young, not because of him. He's a horrible QB, and that will show eventually. Matt Schuab is the real deal. The texans started off the season strong, and i see them as real contenders in the future. This is the best division in football IMO.

The NFC is the suprise IMO. In the north, we have the packers a surprising 1 4th qtr meltdown away from 9-0. They won their last 4 games last year and they have won a total of 12 out of hte last 13 they have played. I thought they'd do well, but not this well. Coupled with the bears playing poor football... Adrian peterson is hurt, but before that, he was a sight to see. If hte vikes can get a good QB (Derek Anderson maybe?) to throw the ball next year, they might actually be contenders. The lions are a farse imo. They've started a skid that leads them into playing dallas, the giants, and greenbay in 3 consecutive weeks. They are still in the wildcard race, but the division i think is far and away greenbay's at this point.

The west sucks. I think we can see the first 7-9 team make the playoffs....and it will be the winner of htis division. If the 49ers beat the seahawks this week, the seahawks will be tied for first place with the cards at 4-5. The only question is...is this the worst division in football, or is it the AFC west? Really, the only surprise is Seattle isn't doing better. For someone who was supposed to be the second best team in the NFC this year, they are showing it poorly. The rams still suck.

The NFC South is WIIIIDE open. The saints are down and up, but mostly down. They come off a dominating win against a contender and then drop a game to the rams. The bucs are in first place, but only barely. Garcia is playing good football, but the division is up for grabs, and probably won't be decided untill the last play of the season.

The NFC East is about what i thought it would be. The Cowboys are in the lead after sweeping the giants, but the giants are playing pretty good football in spite of that. Their only losses have come from two 8-1 teams. I think it says a lot about the team. I expect them to win at least 3 more games and sneak in the playoffs as a wildcard team.

Any one else wanna chime in?
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

The NFL right now is the Patriots, the Colts, and then everyone else. One thing that surprises me is how well the NFC is competing with the AFC. I think the season series is tied up, and its really just the AFC's two super squads (Indy and NE) that are keeping it so. Looks like we are starting to see the power pendulum swing back to the NFC.

AFC East - Um yea the Patriots are the shit and everyone else is shit. I thought the Jets would be a lot, lot better than they are. Bills are coming on strong lately but I don't see them in the playoffs. If the Fins can't beat the Jets at home on Dec 2nd then who can they beat? Oh did I mention that the Patriots have the 49ers first round pick next year? Hopefully thats the one that the NFL will take away from them because the last thing the league needs right now is the Pats choosing a Darren McFadden or a Glenn Dorsey with a top 5 pick.

AFC West - Good lord did this division implode after being the best in football for quite a while. I definitely foresaw the decline of the Chargers, but I thought Denver would be a lock for 10 wins and could compete with the other 2 big boys Indy and NE. Kansas City is the polar opposite of the franchise they have been for the last decade. Oakland still sucks.

AFC North - Honestly I don't like any teams in this division right now. I think all of their records are skewed by squaring off with the NFC West which is the NFL Worst. Pittsburgh is not an elite team and that will become evident in the playoffs. Cincinnati needs to stop trying to blame Chad Johnson for shit - he isn't the problem there.

AFC South - The Colts are the only team that can stop the Patriots but if they couldn't do it in Indy then I don't see them doing it in Foxboro during the playoffs. Jags are Jags and the Titans are pretty similar this year. I don't care who they play in the playoffs with those one dimensional offenses they will lose. Texans suck and so does Matt Shaub.

NFC North - Packers are way better than I thought they would be. Where the hell did that receiving corps come from? Everyone on that roster is making big plays. I agree that Detroit is a paper tiger and I don't think they will win 10 games this year despite having 6 already. The Adrian Peterson who (formerly known as the Minnesota Vikings) won't go anywhere unless they can start throwing the balls. I'm not even talking about throwing the ball well, just throwing it. Chicago has as good a chance as anyone to make the playoffs because that second wildcard slot in the NFC is wide fucking open.

NFC West - Yea this is the worst division in football. I thought Seattle would be better in large part because I thought Shaun Alexander's broken foot wouldn't be a big issue but it seems like he is completely incapable of recovering from any injury right now. I think this season might have been a much different story for the Rams had they not been so devastated by injuries. The Cards still suck and the 49ers still suck. They both will still suck next year but everyone on ESPN will be choosing one of them to win the division and the other to make a wildcard.

NFC East - THE most competitive division in football. This is the only division in the league without a cupcake. Cowboys should win the division and the Giants should take a wildcard spot. The Giants are the most surprising team in the league to me, I honestly to god thought they would be the worst in the NFL. The Skins are about 3 plays from being 8-1 (Santana Moss fumbled vs GB, Ladell Betts getting stopped on the goal line against NYG, Ladell Betts fumble vs Philly). Both wildcard spots could come from this division again but other than the Giants it doesn't look like any team in the NFC is trying too hard to make the playoffs without winning the division. You said this was going to be the worst division in football.

NFC South - Another bunch of losers. There is no way to tell who is going to step up and win this. If the second wildcard spot doesn't come from the East then I think it will come from here. Tampa Bay hasn't lost a division game yet so I will guess they will win it, but then again they've only played two.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Styrofoam
Nerd

Post by Styrofoam »

You're right, i said the NFC east would be the worst in football, when all signs pointed to the NFC west really being hte worst. I jumped on the 49er's bandwagon too soon it seems.....

I disagree with it being the best in football though. I still think the AFC south is the best. You don't like Matt Schuab, but he's been playing pretty well. And with a healthy Andre Johnson, I see them becoming a power house if they can get a running game to back them up. The colts are slipping because of injuries at premium positions ... And they're losing weapons. More than anything it proves that this league is about depth...something I don't see in Indy. I stand by my prediction at the start of the season that Jacksonville will win the South, as they are only 1 game out of first place. The NFC east does have to real contenders, but the other teams are middle of the pack. The redskins are one of those teams that show up one week adn don't the next. And IMO the eagles are just plain bad. If they make the playoffs its on the NFC being 3 teams deep and 6 teams have to make the playoffs.

I'm really pulling for the cards to win their division, but it looks like seattle will be the winner again. It is a shame, but I think that arizona is becoming a better team... they just need stability at the QB position. Looking at the NFC North, we should have seen this coming.... at least greenbay's emergence and chicago's decline. Chicago got lucky last year that Rex Grossman's eratic play didn't cost them games down the stretch. They were exposed in the SB...on the flip side, greenbay being 4-8 won their last 4 games on the back of a young defense.

I'm guess my new playoff picture at the end of this year looks like this:

NFC:

1: Packers
2: Cowboys
3: Bucs
4: Sea Hawks
5: Giants
6: Lions

I firmly believe that the packers are a better team than the cowboys. And my superbowl pick is winner of hte GB v DAL game in the regular season which could very well determine the homefield advantage.

AFC:

1: Patriots
2: Steelers
3: Jaguars
4: Chargers
5: Colts
6: Browns (this years NY jets. Making hte playoffs due to a weak schedual)

Obviously the superbowl pick HAS to be the patriots, although, i think that the AFC playoff picture undoubtedly has the defenses that could pose a threat and maybe MAYBE pull off an upset.... with the jags, steelers, and Colts all playing pretty well on defense...it'd be tough since its pretty obvious the AFC playoffs go through foxborough this year, but anything is possible.
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

I don't think the NFC East is the best division - I think the AFC South could win the season series against them - I just think there is no weak team in the East making it the most balanced and competitive.

Flip the Jags and Colts on your playoff picture and I pretty much agree with you.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea