The Dark Knight

Movies, books and other non-gaming fun.

Moderator: shiram

Kadian
Jedi

The Dark Knight

Post by Kadian »

I decided this movie deserved it's own topic, rather than being a second thought in the hellboy topic....

These are my spoiler-free opinions:

First of all, definitely one best Batman movies I've ever seen, although the last one was really good too. This one is also probably the darkest and most graphic that I can remember, which I believe Batman should be. There was great action throughout the movie, as well as a good plot and storyline, which is a hard combo to accomplish. This Batman movie probably kept me on the edge of my seat more than any other one in the past, it was fairly intense through most of the movie (at least for the last half or 2/3 of it)

Heath Ledger really did do a good job with his role, it's not just hype because he died which is kind of what I expected, although on a humorous note try listening to him talk and think "Stewart Smalley" (from the old SNL sketchs), I couldn't figure out for the life of me who he reminded me of during the movie, but I just watched the trailer and realized he sounds like a demented Stewart Smalley.

The only bad stuff I can think of is:

1. When dressed as Batman they really over-did his voice (sounds fake), I don't want to spoil anything, so you'll have to watch it to see what I mean....
2. The usual unbelievable stuff that exists in all comic book movies, as well as some moments where you wonder why they would do something like that when the Joker was on the loose killing people..... a parade? really? NOW??

I guess that's about it for the bad stuff for me...

Now I can't wait for the next one to come out, which was not the case after the first 2 or three from 80's and 90's.

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

As you said, if I was to pick something I didnt like about the movie, it would be Batman's voice.

They make it so deep and heavy of a voice that he cant even carry on a sentence without losing breath.

I understand his voice needs to be masked, but lets not overdue it

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

3. Rachel Dawes got so ugly it breaks the suspension of disbelief. I mean come on did you see those woman he was with at the beginning of the movie and then he's standing next to a sasquatch and he's like, "OMG Rachel I friggin LOVE you!"

So I liked this movie a lot and I thought Ledger did a good job but I also definitely thought his performance was overhyped. He's not going to win an Oscar and it's not one of the greatest performances of all time like I keep hearing over and over and over. What makes the character of the Joker so great in this movie has a lot to do with what the writer's did with the character. I'm not going forward any more due to spoilers.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

flint wrote:3. Rachel Dawes got so ugly it breaks the suspension of disbelief. I mean come on did you see those woman he was with at the beginning of the movie and then he's standing next to a sasquatch and he's like, "OMG Rachel I friggin LOVE you!"

So I liked this movie a lot and I thought Ledger did a good job but I also definitely thought his performance was overhyped. He's not going to win an Oscar and it's not one of the greatest performances of all time like I keep hearing over and over and over. What makes the character of the Joker so great in this movie has a lot to do with what the writer's did with the character. I'm not going forward any more due to spoilers.
quite agree on the subject of the joker
as for rachel, bruce knows her from his childhood, and since he cant love
so she's special to him
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

Rachael went from hot to fucking dog house in one movie. Obviously Tom Cruise went overboard on the controlling asshole thing and didn't let Katie do this movie.
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

Katie Holmes is hot? thats news to me
at best she kinda got that girl next door look, but thats it

as for the new Rachel , i dont know her much, but at least she now has 2 good movies under her belt with the dark knight, and stranger than fiction

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Katie Holmes is the hot girl next door.... which is what she was supposed to be to Bruce Wayne, now they have a sort of goofy looking girl next door which is less believable, so yeah, make that my #3 also, because I did think about that while watching the movie too.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

i dunno, i disagree
she did an awesome job of acting the part, and even though she isnt the hot babe, i think its fits into it alot more than getting just any dumb old babe

she's assistant district attorney, not catwoman...

Styrofoam
Nerd

Post by Styrofoam »

i have to also agree... in fact durring hte movie i looked at my friend when the joker said "you're beautiful" and said "uh... no she's not." not even close actually.... Like... the opposite of that.

I do have to disagree though, and say that Ledger did play the joker EXTREMELY well... especially with the standing ovation (you know the scene to avoid spoilers) which was completely ad-libed. I don't think everyone can pull off how truely demented he looked... seriously.
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

we can all disagree on such minor details....
as long as we agree it was one kickass movie

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Good movie, i dont personally see why everyone hates that girl. Shes suppose to be Bruce Waynes childhood friend, not a model. I think the role of the girl is hated, not so much the actress.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

:P
The fleecy cloud may kiss the sky...the rose may kiss the butterfly...the morning dew may kiss the grass...and you, my friend, can kiss my ass!

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

holy spoilers batgenie!!

well i guess we mostly have all seen it

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

yea thats a hell of a spoiler genie, edit that :P
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.