do not see cloverfield *spoilers at the end*

Movies, books and other non-gaming fun.

Moderator: shiram

flint
Jedi

do not see cloverfield *spoilers at the end*

Post by flint »

I have never had motion sickness in my life until I saw this movie. I left the theater feeling physically ill and utterly taken advantage of. The movie sucks.
Last edited by flint on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

Horrible, just horrible

Had to take my eyes off the theatre screen and focus in on an exit sign every 10 minutes to prevent from getting ill.

The movie is like 1 hour 15 minutes, wow. The upside to the length is that it could have been worse(Thank god we only have to endure 1 hour 15 min of shaking instead of if the movie was an average length film). The downside is that you paid 7-9 bucks to watch an HOUR AND 15 MINUTES.

Im sorry, there really isnt anything unique about this movie.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

you guys are serious? i can understand the motion sickness thing, but this movie was fucking awesome. Least i thought so, obviously not some masterpiece of cinema like Citizen Kane or anything but shit It was better than most shit movies i've seen lately.

EDIT: most movies are 1hr 30 minutes. so if you feel taken advantage of for your 15 minutes maybe you need to contact JJ Abrams and get a refund.

DOUBLE EDIT: Looked it up 84 minutes.

so you only missed 6 minutes of average movie length imo.

Seriously though the monster was awesome, and so was this movie, if you get sick easily, don't see it, if you like monster movies, its a must see.

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

The camcorder is the single biggest reason I hated the movie but it doesn't end there. It's a predictable monster movie devoid of any kind of symbolism or satire, you don't get to gawk at the special effects because any time something cool is happening the camcorder is pointed at the ground or out of focus, and theres also no 'root for the underdog' aspect to the movie because every character is a fucking douchebag who you really don't care if they live or die. The acting is fucking horrible. People run around screaming but they never actually seem frightened. Rob is barely phased by the death of his own brother and Lily couldn't care less that the man she loves just got crushed by the monster. If I wanted to watch an Ultralisk smash some buildings with a few Zergling buddies then I would have played Starcraft.

The only positive thing about the movie that I can muster up right now is that the suspension of disbelief factor is pretty low, which is absolutely amazing for movies nowadays. There are only a few times when I thought to myself, "no fucking way, this is just stupid." Beth gets impaled through the heart by rebar then scales across to the other building and sprints to a helicopter before surviving a helicopter crash and a monster attack? A giant monster falls from outer space into the Atlantic Ocean in plain view of people at Coney Island and no one has a clue?

Having worked in the Electronics department at Walmart I imagined trying to sell that camcorder to a customer:
Pros: infinite battery life, nigh invincible, super powerful light, night vision
Cons: incapable of being brought into focus
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

i guess i'm not quite as critical. I thought the characters were pretty believable, and lilly definitely did freak out when dude died.

Hud was the best character imo, the slight comedic relief helped some parts of the movie.

acting was good imo. but i can see the issues.

the camcorder thing definitely had some issues, but i think the movie would have been total ass if you shot it in 3rd person or some shit, it just wouldn't have the same impact.

basically from what i've heard/read about this movie people either love it or hate it.

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

It was incredibly easy to predict what was going to happen, at just about every scene in the movie(not just a general prediction).

Mix in some unrealistic human strengths, a monster, romance, and a crappy angle and you've got the movie. I simply must not be understanding what makes this movie great.

No scene felt believable to me. I didn't buy into their emotions one bit. Nothing jumped out to me and said whoa.

I only knew a slight bit about the movie before I viewed it. Turns out that slight bit WAS the whole movie.

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

Hylandor wrote:It was incredibly easy to predict what was going to happen, at just about every scene in the movie(not just a general prediction).

Mix in some unrealistic human strengths, a monster, romance, and a crappy angle and you've got the movie. I simply must not be understanding what makes this movie great.

No scene felt believable to me. I didn't buy into their emotions one bit. Nothing jumped out to me and said whoa.

I only knew a slight bit about the movie before I viewed it. Turns out that slight bit WAS the whole movie.
Wasn't that Transformers in a nutshell?
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

this movie didnt interest me much, and from what im gathering, its not gonna be any kind of good
thanx for the heads up
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Haven't even heard of it before I read this thread. Watched the trailer, read your posts and now I know I won't pay to see it, heh..

I am Legend, though, that one I think I wanna see. Anyone of you guys seen it yet? We're so incredible slow here in sweden sometimes, I think it goes up next week on the cinemas, heh..
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

I am legend is decent, i was expecting it to stink, and it was actually ok
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

BigT
ultranoob

Post by BigT »

This movie was pure awesome. Me and my friends saw it at a high class movie theater up here in Northern Virginia during the middle of the day so there was no one there. We sat in the very middle of the place and the sound was just freaken amazing. It felt like we were there and crap. I haven't been into a movie that much since the Lion King when i was 8. Great stuff.

The part where the troops are coming down the main road to blast Godzilla and where that girl blows up made me mouth drop.

A good movie. Hoping the DVD has some sweet extras, and make sure you got yourself a sweet sound system since thats the best feature of this movie.
When you don't care about the outcome everything becomes easier.

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

BigT wrote:and make sure you got yourself a sweet sound system since thats the best feature of this movie.
so you can hear the spiders go "NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW"

so yea