Path of Exile (its free btw)

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Path of Exile (its free btw)

Post by RoamingMadness »

Has anyone checked this out? I'm gonna give it a shot when I get some free time. Ever since SWG I've played around with what would be my perfect system for a game. Many times over the year have I tried write out my ideas, with a piece here or there. A few key concepts that never changed were things like SWG class system, which allowed you to be anything and everything at once.. however you made it. And what I thought was a genius idea... my magic system.

The magic system I wanted, I would explain to people had two types of skills. Heavily influenced by materia from ff7.. and a little bit of naruto's rasengan training. I wanted skills which you could combine with linked slots. Fire magic + orb attack = fireball for the simplest example... but things like critical hits would ignite you, slash or pierce would bleed, shock would stun... on and on..

Honestly, Path of Exile is the system I always dreams of. Everything I ever thought of, or wanted, seems to be there with so much more. If you havent checked it out.. read this page. Because personally... it's a dream come true.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Diabl ... h_of_Exile
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Re: Path of Exile (its free btw)

Post by Bane »

OK replied in the other thread first. Gonna check out your link now.

Oh man.. their class and skill system sound genius! Created an account and gonna start downloading now. this looks promising!
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Playing now, trying it on an european server. A dualist. Level 5 or so, speccing for S&S but havent read anything about which skill nodes I should go for, so lets see how it goes. Have some kind of basic idea of going for a decent mix of defense and offense instead of going one or the other. I have no idea how much min/max is needed for the later stages and difficulties. The overall game feels very much diablo2, more so than D3 did even. Thats a good thing!

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

I still haven't gotten a chance to jump in, but its on my list when i get free. How you liking it?
But I'm not the only one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

I'm at level 23 or so now as a dualist. Speccing him towards survivability/damage, like some sort of tank but with decent damage and leech etc (I think). I have no idea what the hell I am doing though since I haven't read up on best builds or what to avoid etc, hehe.. I just go with what feels right! I will probably hit a wall sooner or later where my choices start to lack in min-maxing and my lack of good gear will become more apparent. I use mainly cleave using swords or axes but just started testing out shockwave, adding supporting gems with maim, bleeding or accuracy depending on other items and the area difficulty. So far it's been very, very easy though since my char has good DR and evasion, as well as, block from shield. Together with good damage and mostly one-two hit kills, the first acts has been very easy. Now halfway into act 2 when I encounter more elemental dmg I notice it will be the bane of me if I don't start to find items with good elemental resists.

I have to say though, this is a really, really good game. I know I am sooooo late, but damn.. why haven't I tried this before? :) I'm having a blast with my charname and are in act 2 currently, fighting bandits. I haven't really read any of the dialogues or quests, I just run around and solve the quests as I come across them. It's very self-explanatory so far. Whoever designed the skill system, my hat's off for you!

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

played it a long while back, it seems this game has been out forever.
Anyways completed a solo run of it, but having no one to play with, I stopped there.

It was pretty nice though
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

You all see where this is heading, right? We gotta create a guild! :D This forum hasn't been this active since D2 ;P Hehe..

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

I'm level 60 now and building a tank, kinda like a pally in Dii with holy shield. Figured I'd go with something that had a high surviviability. Seriously,I haven\t had this fun with a mp game in a long, long time! The skill system is ingenious!

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

Like I said in the other thread, I tried it and really couldnt get into it. combat is a little slow early on and none of the classes are even remotely appealing to me. Hence why I uninstalled -again-
The fleecy cloud may kiss the sky...the rose may kiss the butterfly...the morning dew may kiss the grass...and you, my friend, can kiss my ass!

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

I've got two characters pretty far in. I'm playing with self found gear. I still think it's a lot of fun, but I haven't had time to play much lately. If you pick a build that requires specific gear the early game feels sluggish.. but I guess I got lucky playing SRS and Sunder and pretty much dominated the early game.

The bad parts about the game IMO are that you kinda need expanded stash space(which i didnt buy) in order to grind currency efficiently ... and that you're sorted limited end game to certain 'builds' because the game is actually difficult at the end. If you don't like making new characters when one runs out of steam... then you probably won't enjoy the game very long.

Also on the bad side, it's very possible to 'softlock' your progress and not be able to go any further in the game because you made bad choices leveling up. But the depth of the game is pretty amazing. I have barely scratched the surface of the crafting systems and maps... and I can safely say this game could easily take a hundred hours just to learn all the systems.

One thing I really like about the game is how fluid your gear flows into your build once you start to understand whats valuable to you. I started out with a bunch of different spells being used... but as I gained more linked gear I began replacing the skills i didn't use as frequently.. and adding support skills to the things i did.

The ability to experiment around with each little aspect is highly rewarding. Lemme try adding in a curse. Ew I dont like casting it. Maybe ill put in on a totem. Oh well i don't really attack anyway, lemme get 2 totems instead of attacking, okay now my curses aren't really helping so i'll let them cast skeletons for support dps and meat shields instead... and i'll add faster casting to SRS so i have free time to cast corpse explosion... etc etc.. all.. day.. long!

Right now, my character just summons a bunch of flying skulls, which DPS everything to death... while my lightning golem blasts AoE which debuffs fire/cold resists... and i drop taunt totems or buff/curse stuff... while my zombies meat shield. Oh, and every summon i have, does self corpse explosion on death... and I have like 30 minions up at once. Constantly dying. And my lightning golem hastes everything. And I haste everything. And everything on my team does physical, fire, and cold damage... simultaneously.

Which is a hell of a lot of synergy... compared to say d2 summoner... which was just 'curse stuff and re-summon mages, maybe bone spirit" but runs into the same problem d2 had with underpowered builds vs overpowered in a different way. Because... I WOULD be using skeletons... I'm even spec'd for them in PoE... build they suck compared to what my other skills can do... and I'm at a place in the game where I need to be stronger... and can't sacrifice an ounce of anything. Which, like i said, kinda makes the game into a bunch of false choices and a handful of viable builds at the end.

But overall, great game. Especially considering it's free.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

I tried it again. I actually enjoy it more now. I spent more time in it.

I am streaming it at twitch.tv/geniewh
I still dont understand it a whole lot, but its pretty good.
The fleecy cloud may kiss the sky...the rose may kiss the butterfly...the morning dew may kiss the grass...and you, my friend, can kiss my ass!

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Havent played in a couple of months, early november I think. I believe the ladder, or whatever its called, reset some time in November and that there was maybe another realase of new content as well?

Moved back to SP games, currently playing through old NVN2. I just always come back to old D&D games. It's like gravity pulling me back into it, heh.. Been playing a shitload of BG 1 and 2 since the EEs were released and still do. I sometimes dip into something new but always get bored for some reason, dunno why. I will play PoE2 though, I liked the first one good enough to actually finish it, which is extrememely rare for me. Both PoE and Tyranny were really good games and I think PoE2 will probably be equally good, or even better.

So Genie, in Path of Exile, what class do you play?

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

Im playing a maurader, but I dont quite understand it yet. I havent gotten any "skills" as everything has come from these sockets I keep putting together /shrug

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

hehe, yeah that's the way it works. You find skills and socket them into chains, main skill and other skill gems supporting that. Thats why equipmet later on need to have as long gem chains as possible, 6 linked in an armor, so you can add all these neat supporting gems (dmg, spread, AoE etc) to your attacks and such.

Pro tip, focus on HP (% to life) in the skill tree. Find a couple of nodes (circular skill nodes with 3-X sockets all with the similar gains) with cheap access, meaning very few steps in between where you have to "waste" points just to reach a new node and plan ahead a bit. This way you can maximize the gains with a minimum of waste. You get re-speccing points just by playing the campaign so if you need to retrace your steps and reallocate it's not the end of the world and doesn't require you to pay either.

Don't invest points in weapons skills until you are certain what you are doing. Find the nodes with generic added damage, weapon speed, defence etc rather than investing in only swords. I chose axes myself fairly early and even though it is a good choice for my char, I was penalized at times when I had crappy axes and reached a new difficulty spike wihtout finding a next-tier axe mainhand weapon. This all was solved once I found out how easy it is to trade though, heh.. just google PoE trade if you want to learn more. Takes part of the fun away though since good items are dirt cheap, until late levels (kinda like D3 auction house).

And btw, leech is not as good in PoE as in ie D2. better to have high HP base. theres a weird mechanic around leeching I never really understood.. I have a HP generating aura from my golem, decent internal regen and very high leech on a S/S but it feels like leech isn't really doing as much as the two former. I might be wrong though, I only played up to around level 65 or so. It was a cake walk though with a defensive character.

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

Okay, I have officially been playing this more now, and will progbably start streaming it.

Get at me

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Hehe, if you're on twitch you should post your name here so we can find you!

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

https://www.twitch.tv/geniewh

I've lurked a number of time.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

shiram wrote:https://www.twitch.tv/geniewh

I've lurked a number of time.
You should say hi!

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

Piss off Genie.
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

read my sig