Classic games

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

ZoSo
Padawan

Classic games

Post by ZoSo »

I've been playing a lot of a lot of classic games lately (classic to me is 5-10 years :P) - any suggestions for others to try?

Personal favorites are:

Baldur's Gate 1-2
Icewind Dale 1-2
Planetscape Torment
Neverwinter Nights
Morrowind and Oblivion
Sea Dogs
Sid Meir's Pirates
Imperialism 1-2
Age of Empires 2
Sim City 3000
Black & White
NHL Hockey 95
Don't hate me because I'm pwn

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

also dungeon siege 1-2

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Sim City...lol, classic

I just got a Wii yesterday, so I'm all about new games atm...

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

i didnt see warcraft or diablo or starcraft on that list blasphemer.

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

blizzard? whos that

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

I sincerely recommend Fallout II. I re-played it thsi august and it's still one of the greatest RPG:s ever made, well at par with BG imho. Planescape would have been totally pwnage to re-play, but I just can't stand the 320 graphics :( I've actually tried to reinstall it and play, but is bummed out everytime, heh..

Fallout 1 is no way near as good as fallout II but still worth playing, if you play it after you play FOII though, be prepared for some major let-downs with merc handling and some other minor stuff.

If you can handle REALLY old games, I really recommend Beneath a steel sky, one of the greatest games ever made. But as with all the old games, it can be really frustrating at times!

Rome: total war is still the greatest game ever made if you're a history nerd and a fan of war games where you control everything, more epic battles is impossible to find!

Kotor and Kotor II perhaps? Not so old but The first one may be worth another run, the second one not so much, heh..

Max Payne 1 is insanely good, again not that old but gives quite a few good hours of fun.

There ya have a few options to sink your teeth in. If I should recomend only one, I'd recomend fallout II.
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

Hylandor
Padawan

Post by Hylandor »

Classic :

C&C Red Alert

More old school:

Monkey Island
Kings Quest

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

i forgot to mention KOTOR 1-2 - those two are great. with the first being much better in storyline, but the second being better in class progression

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

I'll check out fallout 2 right now

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

I know this will sound gay, but I really recommend you find a good walkthrough if you indeed will play it. If you don't use one and only intend to play it thorugh once, you will miss out on a ton of cool stuff and funny events!

Don't follow it every step of the way, but read it briefly before you enter a new area just to get a hang of the most important stuff you really don't want to miss out on, then play it yourself as you would if you hadn't had a walkthrough. Then once again, chekc it more thouroughly and try to find the stuff you missed out on and go back to "clean" the area from all quests and other stuff. This way you will "maximize" your gaming experience.

Here's a very good guide you could use:
http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout2.html
Read his advie on character creation as well, he's good some good advice on that. PLaying a gimped char for such a long game will be hell, heh..

Here's a list of many walkthroughs, but I really recommend tha one above.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products ... /faqs.html

Have fun!

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

Jedi knight 2: jedi outcast
The fleecy cloud may kiss the sky...the rose may kiss the butterfly...the morning dew may kiss the grass...and you, my friend, can kiss my ass!

Styrofoam
Nerd

Post by Styrofoam »

seriously...how can you forget Diablo2? I mean... its quite possibly the best game made for its time... and for hte genre etc. TBH, if they made a diablo MMO, i would almost certainly buy it.
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

heroes of might and magic series, especially II and III
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

flint wrote:heroes of might and magic series, especially II and III
Word.

Personally, though, I always enjoyed those two games more when they are played together with someone else, like hot-seating. They are both great games though, no matter if you play'em alone or with some friends.

Speaking of 'alone', remember old alone in the dark? Good game, it was. I have no idea if it would still be enjoyable to play today, so long after it's release.

Another game I'd recomend, Grim Fadango. It was one of the best games of it's time, heh.. Since the first time I played monkey island 1 I have been a fan of those walking-around-solving-puzzles-picking-up-objects-and-talking-to-people-kind-of-games. (is there a shorter name for that genre of games? :) )

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

who are your favorite armies in those games Bane? necro and barbarian all the way
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Well, my favorite city has changed over the years, from barbarian who I discovered could not compete with other tier 7 units, to necropolis who are very good but not so 'fun' to dungeon with their black dragons.
Every city has it's strenghts, but my type of way of playing combats is always about using magic in a way that cripple your opponent and give you an advantage, for that you need to start the fiest round of combat, and for that you need the fastest unit(speed). So really, the phoenix' are the fastest, but elementals are kinda boring. Man whatta a rambling answer, heh.. This is all HoMM3 btw.

Back when I played HoMMII, I was too, usually undead or barbarians while my brother always played warlock. He has always played the race with black dragons. I loved the cyclops with the barbarians, I actually think they were alot cooler and more fun in HoMMII than they are in HoMMIII, being highest tier unit instead of second highest. Undead is always fun on maps with loads of critters so you can kill'em all and make skeletons out of their corpses :D It's walys fun to walk around with hundreds and hundreds of skellies, hehe..

Man, I have really had alot of fun playing that game. ALot of old and great memories of my and my brother playing that game is coming back now while I'm writing this.