Starcraft 2

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Re: Starcraft 2

Post by RoamingMadness »

It just occurred to me my black mage has been dancing for like 10 years.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

thats the power of magic

still guessing here, trying to help...
doesnt most big map have destructibles access to bases?? maybe you could break that instead of theyr front door
make use of the creep spreading abilities as well

beyond that you cant win em all!!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Well, to give you a timing idea...

my build order is a 14 pool, 15 hatch

The hellion rush is 11 rak/gas, 14 factory, start pumping hellions, build starport, swap with rak for tech lab, start making bancheese. If i don't tech lair with my first 100 gas and throw down a hydra den/spire right away, i can't survive the air rush. And the only tier 1 unit that can handle hellions is the roach, which uses gas, making lair/hydra too late to defend your mineral line.

The only effective strategy ive seen is to see it coming and mass roaches and win in the base race.

And just so you know, hellions cost no gas and can be made 2 at a time off a single factory. And since you can't really wall off with zerg to block them they hit your mineral line first, and 3 or 4 beats infinite zerglings.
But I'm not the only one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Without seeing any games and only based on what you write, is terran overpowered, unbalanced?
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Effectively, your opponent is throwing up scissors and you have to use rock. If you don't already have rock, by the time you switch to it your opponent has paper. If you start off throwing rock you'll stomp them into the ground the way they're stomping you.

The problem isn't the hellion rush, its the fact that you are forced anticipate it because there is no counter once you see hellions. By the time you respond with roachs, you need anti air and its gg. There isn't anything wrong with roach/hydra. But there isn't any other safe tech you can do without some seriously talented scouting. I just feel like its boring being forced to use a unit i don't like. And its not that roaches aren't good, they're probably OP.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

the roaches have been nerfed too, they had 2 armor before

you may know of this place but nonetheless
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=34

cant hurt

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

They've actually been nerf'd twice since that (once for regain life, the other for supply) they're still boring and strong. I had a game last night ZvZ where either of us could keep and expansion up and he was massing hydras to beat my mutas, i swapped to roach and rocked him.

To be honest, roaches are so strong still that they make the ultralisk useless. Terran's murarders are very very similar, and probably as equally OP.

The biggest reason why in both cases is because they're anti armored units, but can easily kite non upgraded melee light units (lings, zealots) so early game you don't need anything else. Except zerg require 200 minerals to make roach, terran make muraduers for a 25/25 add on. I have a new strategy im working on now though, where i build no lings at all (2 queen, 2 spine crawlers and a hatch at the choke to narrow it. Tech straight to roach/hydra against terran for a doom drop. I am also trying to get the timing down on what is effectively a triple extractor trick.

11/10 spawning pool, then double trick to 12/10 then OL. It feels a little clumsy, but it gets the pool out a LOT faster and still keeps up drone production (i think).
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

thanks for the link, they basically say once the terran ball is rolling you can't stop them. You have to stop them from expanding completely or beat them early.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

im kinda surprised they didnt fix the zerg extractor thing yet.. maybe when the main release hits

as for the info from teamliquid, it makes sense that you'd have to use speed as zerg against the Terran, they have awesome turtling powers, and with the mules they can have great macro, but if you can get map control, you can possibly expand beyong your opponent

I'm wondering, are the infestor any help, the fungal growth might be potent against the terran ball if you can get in range to cast it
since your going with the lair, do you get any use of the nydus worm?

also using your overlords to drop creep on your opponents expo can delay them, especially if you use them to scout

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Fungel growth is a lot of help, but the infestor is not by any means a high templar in terms of power. On the flip side, once i fast expand i always have extra gas, so the infestor barely costs anything compared to the protoss who seems gas starved. Plus, the infestor is right along the way to hive. Smartcast btw is sick. Put your army on one hot key and 3 or 4 HT on another and you're three clicks away from steamrolling infantry. I won a PvT with nothing but zealots and HT because of smartcast. I was pushed into my base most of that game then rocked his whole army and counter attacked, with zlot/archon

The game plays totally different than before but im really enjoying it. The best part about it is how well things counter other things. If one person masses something its fairly easy to find a counter once you reach tier 2.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

yea hard counters seem more prevalent now
the storms we're nerfed in damage and area though i think, compared to the first starcraft

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

They were, but smart cast more than makes up for it. Similar to how Zerglings are the only unit that suffered a damage reduction when going from sc1 to sc2 but the new surround mechanic makes up for the damage loss. 1 high templar seems weaker, but 3 or 4 really means you're keeping a storm on the center of the army the entire fight, its really sick and hard to deal with if you're not prepared. Hydras seem way beefier and psi-storm seems weaker, but when its hydra vs army+storm, its like half your hydras autodie. Smartcast storm is like is the protoss version of siege tanks imo. 3 or 4 + army hard counters near anything in ball.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

lolz, banelings vs banelings.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

protoss has been getting nerfed every patch, they need working storms!!
the colossus are also pretty badass at tearing terrans ball's apart
if they got something in front of them tanking that is

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Anyone know a place where I can find good recorded matches to watch? I tried to search youtube but mostly found crap or the old "official" matches where they showed of each race.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

i posted about them earlier but....

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft
http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft

complete with commentaries done on the plays and all, they even do dual commentary, and they just finished doing a tournament as well, with a couple grands in prize money
they had starcraft 1 games as well, but i think they took em down for copyright issues

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Hehe, I actually did browse thorugh the thread before posting that, but I guess I just missed you other post (I did see it now that I knew it was there though, hehe)

Thanks again though :)

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

heh its no biggie
those 2 should give you all the vids you need for a long while
be wary though, as the older videos will be of different patches and such

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Beta down for two weeks, so I've had to think about it now, so I'll give a better review.

If you're a big RTS player or a SC1 player (and if you're a big RTS player you should be a sc1 player) then sc2 then you'll probably be getting sc2 no matter what, but if you aren't go now. The graphics are amazing, the game feels like sc1 while playing it, but very quickly you're going to get spoiled. Why? APM. (actions per minute)

In starcraft 1 there were WAY more things to do than you could possibly handle. You need 100apm to just do your build properly. In sc2, you really don't need more than about half that. The system is AMAZINGLY smooth. You can group buildings and units into unlimited control groups. My own apm is only 30-40 depending on my race (i play random) and i don't even have a set strategy for each matchup. I have very quickly moved up to 3rd league in 1v1, so i am by no means good, which brings me to the next point.

So the 'pro' part of the game is now the micro, metagame, and not using all the fancy features available that are so smooth and nice.

But, if you suck at RTS like me, the features will make the game feel a lot more user friendly. And i spent my last 48 hours on the game playing customs maps (about 30 different ones on the game right now, all pretty low quality).

The custom maps are really just great. If you played WC3, its got a hero system built in similar to it, i played one game called final disaster (filled with bugs) but the parts of the game that worked showed great potential. basically a hero defense game. Each character had 5 item slots, you bought weapons, armor, rings, and accessories (no visual changes though). No healer, 3 heros, if anyone dies the game ends. Oh, and about 40 select missions and bosses. Bosses are like 1 baneling increased to diablo size. Overall, fun stuff.

So to sum up. Lots of mini games, great RTS, smooth and beautiful game. If they just fix bnet (currently very unstable and the matching system is not that great).
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

yea i was actually thinking of getting the game mostly for the UMS
they we're awesome in SC1 and should be great in SC2 too