Ohter games, maybe some recommandations

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

shiram
Uber Nerd

Ohter games, maybe some recommandations

Post by shiram »

I tried Path of Exile, they recently had a stress test week-end and I got into that. It was ok, typical hack and slahs mmorpg stuff, but no cutesy graphics or anything, good but not good enough to warrant playing it long term. I think it's going to be free to play with microtransactions.

Faster than light, the indie darling of the moment, I got about 15 hours and have a ton of stuff to unlock still and have not even come close to beating the final boss. Really like it, it has some roguelike element and the random/luck factor gives it great replayabbility.
It's a 10$ game on steam.

Binding of Isaac, another roguelike, uses a layout similar to the first Zelda game and has a great atmosphere/story/background. Very tough game and again randomness gives it great replayability. I've sunk many hours in this bad boy and have not completed the new boss offered in the DLC. Highly recommended.

Tales of Maj'eyal is a free to play roguelike, it is very oldschool with tileset maps and a bit clunky graphics, another tough game as well, but there's alot to unlock and gives incentive to keep playing. You can download off their website, just google it, and it supports the modding community.

Jagged alliance/Back in action 2, a mercenary tactical game, it looked very cool when others played it, but when I tried it I found I was very bad at it, it's a great game still, but not my cup of tea. You basically buy your mercenary team and have them on a map with different locations to conquer and hold, holding those locations gives you cash for more mercs and equipment.

These and Skyrim are what I've been playing for the past few months, most are cheap and great entertainment if some of you are looking for a new game.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

ZoSo
Padawan

Re: Ohter games, maybe some recommandations

Post by ZoSo »

I've played recently...

Football Manager 2012 (best turn based strategy game ever :))
D3 (faded out, but logged in to see prices for my gear has gone down and farming A3 again was fun)
Skyrim (like it, hoping they add 7 different expansions)
Kingdoms of Amalur (much much too easy to be very fun, but a good game)
Witcher 2 (fucking awesome!)

and now gonna give shir's recommendations some looksie
Don't hate me because I'm pwn

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Pooooker
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

Poker's great, but it is not exactly new and people know about it.
ZoSo if you are interested in one of the games let me know, maybe I can shed more light on it for you.
Or just watch some let's play on youtube.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Played Jagged Alliance many years ago, both of'em. Liked those games. Hard, but rewarding.

Never heard of any of the other one you mentioned, but I'm kinda out of the loop as always, so that's no suprise.

Recent plays:
Trine 2 - uber cute arcade pussel game. Look it up at youtube! It was TONS of fun with goofy humour, decent level pussles and overall a great game. Short and sweet. You swithc between a knight, a magician and a rogue, each of the guys can solve the "pussles" on their own, but some easier than others. (I played mostly wizard, he can levitate! )
Mass Effect 3 - loved it. Loved all three of'em. Despite their flaws, they are still damn entertaning. Best Sci-fi game(s) since Kotor 2 imho.
Prototype 2 - same as the first one. Too same if you ask me. And just as with the first one, I grew tired after a couple of hours and quit. THe roaming sucks, there's so little to do you pretty much play it linearly anyways. It's also way, way too easy. It's almost impossible to die in 'normal'.
Diablo 3 - still play, but haven't reached 'end-game' yet. Still playing very casually, just playing through the classes for fun. At my third char, a wiz this time. Next one will be WD (saving monk for last since I think they look boring as hell).

Will play soon:
Borderlands 2! LOVED the first one.
LA Noir. I've had this game in mind for a long time. Have it but haven't installed it. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Don't play:
I Am Alone. Tried it, but didn't like it, didn't like it at all. Dunno much about it but it felt like a crappy porting.

Awaiting:
Rome total war 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Epicness abound.
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

The new Jagged Alliance is supposed to be streamed down and easier to play, but I had no time for it, and other cooler stuff came out since.
I played the first Trine, but did not like the puzzle stuff all that much, seems to me it would benefit from playing multiplayer, but I did not have that option.
I loved the first Mass Effect, the second was good, but have not played the 3rd one, maybe down the line.
Haven't played the Prototype series, but good dans box games are rare, I think Red Dead Redemption was the best sandbox game in a long time.
The Saints 3 was ok in that vein, but I prefered the second one.
I don't think I'll be playing Diablo 3 again, especially since Torchlight 2 is out and it's much more fun to me.

I've started a game in Borderlands 2, it's pretty awesome, does not stray from the winning formula they had in the first one.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

EPIC update on the gaming frontier! Haven't heard of it even being planned, but they have just released e new X-COM! PLayed the very first one alot and loved it, the other ones in teh series wasn't as good, but this new one seem to be great!

Also, Dishonored looks amazing!Gonna try this one soon, as soon as I get some fricking time to play, hehe.. :) Bloody work is killing me and I've got a new apartment. so have to plan for that move as well.

Never tried Trine 1 but the puzzler part of trine 2 is very small and fairly easy once you discover levitation with the wizard dude :P

Playing old games can be unbareble(sp?). DL'd and tried to replay old KOTOR 1 but it was just impossible due to the low resolution settings :-/ It's so much better than KOTOR 2 but I just didn't have the patiance for the crappy console inspired controls and the ridiciously low resolution, so I get your point about JA2.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

There might be a modding community for Kotor, maybe they got a graphics patch you can install.
I know kotor2 had a widescreen patch.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

shiram wrote:There might be a modding community for Kotor, maybe they got a graphics patch you can install.
I know kotor2 had a widescreen patch.
Didn't think of that. That's not a bad idea actually. Gonna google it and see what I find.

Did "borrow" a copy of Dishonored and tried it out. Looking good so far, but not great. To me it seems like some sort of mix between old Thief and the last Wolfenstein game. I doubt I will have the patiance to play it all the way through, a little to much runes/charms/achievements etc and as always when I play a game with too many side quests; I play through the main quest so slow I lose interrest before I finish it, hehe..

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

I looked at Dishonored, but decided it was not for me, not at full price anyways.