Torchlight

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

Darius
Padawan

Torchlight

Post by Darius »

Has anyone tried it? I played the demo last night, and I must say it looks like a genuinely good hack'n'slash with simple but rewarding and demanding gameplay, awesome loot drops and a ton of Diablo/WoW inspirations. Heck, even the music in town sounds very much like the Tristram theme from D1, not mentioning the graphics which are seemingly taken straight from WoW :) I may give the full version a shot, demo was pretty entertaining.
w w w . t h e w i t c h e r . c o m

shiram
Uber Nerd

Re: Torchlight

Post by shiram »

was made by some -exdiablo guys as well
this game's been on my radar actually, and i heard the devs fromthe game wanna bring multiplayer as well

for 20$ i might be in for the full game
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

i bought it, definitely not bad for a 20$ game. Moddable, and pretty entertaining.

supposedly they're making an MMO out of it, but who knows, the game isn't too bad though.

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

It is on sale on steam for $5 right now so I went ahead and picked it up. I never really played diablo single player so I cant make a comparison but I like Torchlight a lot. Being single player it has its limitations but I could imagine this being a fun multiplayer game, though I don't see how pvp would work out. This game really panders to the chronic meph runners of the diablo world. You can even pump up a passive skill that increases your magic find.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

so ive played the game a while now
and it has some shortcomings, like shared skills in the classes
if you use the spellcaster as a summoner, you cant get info on screen about your summons
and some other minor issues that might get patched

but its a fun game, and the diablo vibe is definately there
alot of the stuff is extremely similar, skills or spells that are the same thing as skills or spells we're in D2
the music and vibe also
the gear looting

anyways got an alchemist that completed the main quest and a vainquisher about half way trough
my alchemist is a summoner, and you can get a pretty decent size army going, but you got enough skill points to have decent magics to support them

i wanted to make the vainquisher like a Trapper assassin, but i made more of an hybrid trapper\ranged build

alot of fun and for the price its pretty good
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

Only problems I eventually ran into with this game is just too many items all the time.

upgrades every level nothing really sticks for too long, and it just gets boring, there's nothing to achieve since everything scales and just gets better and better (and can go on forever?).

If you guys want a good diablo clone try out titan quest (you can pick up the gold version on steam).

It's very solid, but doesn't have the random layouts Diablo does, but The story and landscapes and gameplay is very fun.

Classes aren't set in stone theres 7-8? masteries and you pick 2 to combine and make your class. All the trees are viable.

Weapon drops have random abilities, also Uniques/Sets.

Its pretty much diablo 2.5 set to greek/egyptian/eastern myths and legends (some stuff doesn't make a ton of sense Like you fighting Polyphemus from the Odyssey than talking to dead Odysseus in Act4).

Way better than torchlight if you're looking for a Diabloesque fix.