Heroes of Newerth

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

StormCrow
Jedi

Heroes of Newerth

Post by StormCrow »

If you like Dota (defense of the ancients war3 map)

its basically dota 2.0 with better everything (matchmaking, balance, graphics, and whatnot).

Should be coming out soon if anyone is interested (it's pretty fun)

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

It seems to be standing on it's own platform, or is it liek DOTA, more like a mod to another game?

I played alot of 'custom' on WC3 back in the day, among other stuff I tried DOTA. Based on that experience, I never even once played a game thorugh. They always, without exceptions, ended because a couple lagged out, a few went rogue, another couple of players was afk, and so on.

I guess these kind of games can be funny when you actually get to play them through, but IMHO, it's impossible to find good match-ups (not consisting of whiny twelve year olds who quit the same second the tide turns on them.. )
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

it uses the Savage 2 game engine and is a standalone game.

it has a lot of stuff to prevent leavers/laggers.

and you can set up games to reject people with any leaver % (so if they've ever left /dropped out of a game they won't be allowed in).

EDIT: i forgot if you Disconnect from a game you have 5 minutes to rejoin unlike warcraft3 mods/games.

theres also a dedicated matchmaking system, it saves all your stats.

kills, deaths, assists creep kills/denies and you can see whether your team is going to be terrible or not.

although its a lot more fun to play with friends (which is what I do).

joining solo in public games is frustrating.

they also have dedicated servers for Europe and different US regions.

also ingame you have the ability to votekick people on your team and vote to remake the game if people disconnect on startup and all the 100 other annoying things about DoTA.

the bloom on high graphics is super annoying though i had to turn them down so my screen didn't glow all the damn time.