Wtf STEAM ?

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

Bane
Uber Nerd

Wtf STEAM ?

Post by Bane »

Hey guys

Got my retail copy of empire total war today, and also my first steam game. So instead of installing the game normally, I got steam and all that shit. My question is now, where the hell is the game stored on my HDD? I was never asked where I wanted to put the game, only where to install STEAM, heh..

Prolly a noobish question, but I'm new to this legit shit :)

EDIT: B tw is there som fucking way of avoiding STEAMS obviously USELESS way of downloading updates?? It just says "downloading starting" adn I can't start the game, I can't do jakc shit to my own fricking game? I HATE to be told what I can and can not do by some moronic program taking control of my computer, bah... this is exactly why I always try to avoid legit shit. I WANT TO PLAY SOOO BAAAAAAAAD!

Edit 2: It finally got the update downloaded. maybe there were many Ding at the same time. Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow, I just had time for a single hour of playeing, heh..
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

you have to start the game with steam open, you dont need a shortcut, go to steam, click the games tab and double click empire total war.

and i believe theyre stored in the steam folder in your program files folder.

but i dont think you can start the game from there without steam open

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

yeah, I know how to start the game, that was never the trouble, it was just that it refused to because it needed to finish a DL that it was also refusing to start.. wuite the dilemma.-

Hmm, w few beers and my writing skilld goes down the drain.

I found the game_

c:\GAMES\Steam\SteamApps\common\

under here it stored th game catalogue. Wierd.

Graet game s ofar.- Iw ish some of you liked it :D I cant understand how anyone can not like the tota lwar games, hehe :)

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Heh, maybe steam ain't so bad after all. I was kinda pissed off that first night, but now that I logged in, it gave me UT3 for free ?

Haha, not that I would ever pay for that game, but I think it's kinda cool when they release games for free even though it is just for a few days.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

steam takes a little getting used to, but i like it a lot.

i think your problem may have been fixable by changing the server you download updates/games from (you can change it under settings)

but i believe that problem only really occurs when a newly released game is being downloaded/updated by a shitload of people and it goes away once less people are trying to get it.

happened with dawn of war 2 to me now that i think of it, but i wasn't 100% what you were having issues with =/

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

StormCrow wrote:
but i believe that problem only really occurs when a newly released game is being downloaded/updated by a shitload of people and it goes away once less people are trying to get it.

happened with dawn of war 2 to me now that i think of it, but i wasn't 100% what you were having issues with =/
Yeah, it was release day, so I guess everyone who had bought a copy was downloading the update at the same time. Too bad they don't write out if you're in a queue, becuase just seeing that "downlaoding starting" for an hour without nothing happening was quite frustrating indeed. Especially when it was a game you have been waiting for , for several years to be released! I bought this new computer pretty much solely for this game, heh.. Yeah I know, I am a nerd :D

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

you can crack the game to not use steam :)
Don't hate me because I'm pwn