Left 4 Dead

From the Orange Box to Minesweeper

Moderator: Crow

flint
Jedi

Left 4 Dead

Post by flint »

I've had this game for about 2 weeks now and it is amazing. I know this board isn't very FPS oriented but this is still an awesome game that some of you may want to check out.

For those of you who don't know it is a zombie survival game with two gameplay modes: campaign and versus. In campaign you make your way to various safety zones en route to being rescued while fighting off hordes of zombies. In versus mode you do the same thing as campaign except there is one team of human controlled survivors and one team of human controlled zombies.

When I say zombie survival you may be imagining a slow paced game but it's not. This is the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead not the original. Regular zombies sprint at you and there are various special zombies such as one that can leap great distances. If you try to go slowly through the map taking your time and killing all the zombies at a distance the game will spawn a "slacker horde" to get you moving. Things get absolutely batshit insane in this game, especially on expert difficulty. I still have not beaten a campaign on expert, but that may be because I let BigT into my games.

That being said this game is not worth buying if you are only into single player. You really have to get a team of 4 humans together to truly enjoy the zombie mayhem. I'd like to get a nerds lounge crew together to whip some ass though, and two of us already have the game.
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

it's pretty fun, i play it every so often, i'd highly recommend this game.

my steamid is stormcrow_98

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

DL'ed and tried it.

Personally, I think it sucks ass. I only tried the campaing mode on single player, but there was nothing wit hthe game that kept me wanting to play it more tha nfive minutes. the zombies came in three versions, regulars, frog-like and giant exploding ones.. man... and my so called "team mates" did nothing more than stand around waiting for me to run in the frint taking all of the heat. But as said, this was single player, and that sucked hairy balls. Maybe MP is alot more fun, but I have admit I have trouble imagining that.

There are a ton of FPS games out there, all of whom are better than Lef4Dead. Please do not pay fot it, you will regret it, at least try it out first. this is my advice.
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

I already have 3 other friends who play, i havent tried it yet. Got too many things going on right now for a new game. But it seems hit or miss. Id say try it, but keep in mind.. the best parts of the game are multiplayer.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

Bane wrote:DL'ed and tried it.

Personally, I think it sucks ass. I only tried the campaing mode on single player, but there was nothing wit hthe game that kept me wanting to play it more tha nfive minutes. the zombies came in three versions, regulars, frog-like and giant exploding ones.. man... and my so called "team mates" did nothing more than stand around waiting for me to run in the frint taking all of the heat. But as said, this was single player, and that sucked hairy balls. Maybe MP is alot more fun, but I have admit I have trouble imagining that.

There are a ton of FPS games out there, all of whom are better than Lef4Dead. Please do not pay fot it, you will regret it, at least try it out first. this is my advice.
please for the love of god don't judge a pure MP game based on single played.

play the multiplayer first (vs mode too).

pretty fun, and you missed out on 3 different boss zombie types from your description =/

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

i'd play it if it werent just such a multiplayer game
single player looks like poo on itself
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

StormCrow wrote:

pretty fun, and you missed out on 3 different boss zombie types from your description =/
I do it when I think it's called for, and this game is not for me, MP or not MP.

And yay, I missed three kinds of bosses? So you mean there's a grand total of six different monster types? Oh man, cork open the champange, this deserves a celebration! :lol:

To each his own as always though, but I stand by my opinion, there are a ton of better FPS games out there.

flint
Jedi

Post by flint »

D2 single player mode sucked, 'nuf said
if youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
shiram wrote:heh seeing as how the only other members we've seen in bathing suit are, iirc, Lisa, and mac...

so yea

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

Bane wrote:
StormCrow wrote:

I do it when I think it's called for, and this game is not for me, MP or not MP.

And yay, I missed three kinds of bosses? So you mean there's a grand total of six different monster types? Oh man, cork open the champange, this deserves a celebration! :lol:

To each his own as always though, but I stand by my opinion, there are a ton of better FPS games out there.
honestly this would be like saying counterstrike sucks as a single player game.

there may be better (not sure what). But this isn't a 100% fps, just because you play from the first person perspective doesn't make it only a shooter. You can't play this game the same way you'd play another game.

It may not be your cup of tea, but you shouldn't tell people not to play a game based on your single player perspective when you haven't even tried versus mode (which is just fucking amazing).

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

StormCrow wrote:
Bane wrote:
StormCrow wrote:

honestly this would be like saying counterstrike sucks as a single player game.

there may be better (not sure what). But this isn't a 100% fps, just because you play from the first person perspective doesn't make it only a shooter. You can't play this game the same way you'd play another game.

It may not be your cup of tea, but you shouldn't tell people not to play a game based on your single player perspective when you haven't even tried versus mode (which is just fucking amazing).
What's your fucking problem, mate? So, I didn't like the game, and you obviously do, big fucking deal? Normally I wouldn't give a shit about this, but that post of yours just begged to be commented.

Maybe you need to re-read what I wrote above, 'cause it seems you have made the mistake you blamed me for, judged me based on single post.. Incorrectly as well, I might add.

To spare you the trouble of scrolling upwards, here's my post again:
Bane wrote:DL'ed and tried it.

I don't say that ppl should not play the game, I tell them to not pay for it before they have tried it, cause if I don't like it, maybe others won't as well? This is still my opinion. Maybe in the future I will try MP and like it, but I highly doubt it.

And making, or rather trying to make, comparisons to CS is like comparing apples to pears as we say in Sweden (you do to?). CS didn't even have single player and wasn't even sold, you downloaded it (then Vault made money on it, but that's another story), but Left4Dead will be sold to ppl with no internet connection, maybe not that many, but at least a few will be fooled into buying it without having the thought of it being pure MP. This is speculation of mine ofc, but I'm fairly sure it will happen to some ppl, and those ppl will be utterly dissapointed.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Apples to Oranges here mate.

While CS was 'downloaded' you still had to buy halflife. Which for the record, i personally think sucks ass.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

sorry, i misinterpreted what you said, my bad.

but multiplayer is really fun, you should try it out atleast. I agree with half-life sucking, very boring.

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

RoamingMadness wrote:Apples to Oranges here mate.

While CS was 'downloaded' you still had to buy halflife. Which for the record, i personally think sucks ass.
Apples and oranges it is, hehe :)

And yes, you had to buy HL to play CS, that is correct ofc. If Left4Dead was an expansion, or mod for another game, I wouldn't have bitched about it either, but it's not, it's a stand-alone game which I think would have been better off if it indeed had been a pure steam only game.
StormCrow wrote:sorry, i misinterpreted what you said, my bad.

but multiplayer is really fun, you should try it out atleast. I agree with half-life sucking, very boring.
Ok, my response may have been slightly exaggereted as well, it was the glüewine speaking, haha :D

And yeah, I wouldn't mind trying out MP, but since you have to pay for it, I won't, heh.. that's the diffficulty with this game (and others). It's like the chicken and the egg, which comes first? You have to play MP to think the game is fun, but to try MP you have to buy it first, but you don't want to buy if you don't know for sure it's fun, so you DL it and try the SP, which ain't fun at all... a tricky situation indeed.:wink:

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

Bane wrote:
RoamingMadness wrote:Apples to Oranges here mate.

Apples and oranges it is, hehe :)

And yes, you had to buy HL to play CS, that is correct ofc. If Left4Dead was an expansion, or mod for another game, I wouldn't have bitched about it either, but it's not, it's a stand-alone game which I think would have been better off if it indeed had been a pure steam only game.
StormCrow wrote:sorry, i misinterpreted what you said, my bad.

EDIT: it might only have campaign mode multiplayer... which is fun but not vs mode.

Ok, my response may have been slightly exaggereted as well, it was the glüewine speaking, haha :D

And yeah, I wouldn't mind trying out MP, but since you have to pay for it, I won't, heh.. that's the diffficulty with this game (and others). It's like the chicken and the egg, which comes first? You have to play MP to think the game is fun, but to try MP you have to buy it first, but you don't want to buy if you don't know for sure it's fun, so you DL it and try the SP, which ain't fun at all... a tricky situation indeed.:wink:
the demo has multiplayer and is free (on steam)

EDIT: the demo might not have VS mode though... not sure.

BigT
ultranoob

Post by BigT »

Gonna have to disagree with you Bane, a lot of FPS suck ass or are too generic. L4D is probably the most fun shooter i've played since golden eye, and if you could see my computer you'd see over 10 FPS games installed, i have another 30 sitting in my closet somewhere.

Hands down its the best co-op game ever to come out in my opinion.
When you don't care about the outcome everything becomes easier.