hypocrisy in the temple

Good friends. Good times. Open bar.

Moderators: Bane, shiram

shiram
Uber Nerd

hypocrisy in the temple

Post by shiram »

so yesterday i was at my niece's baptism, i was the godfather
it went really well, even though the priest seemed intent on trying to drown kids with holy water

one thing annoyed me though, and thats even though im agnostic

that priest was peddling wares in the temple
he was trying to get us to buy coloring books for kids, and other such products

now if i remember correctly, Christianity's main man, Jesus, wasnt all too happy when some merchants set up shops in some temple

but i guess 2000 years of evolution means you can forget such doctrines
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Lots of churchs sell things. Mostly smaller ones because they dont have a large enough member base to support themselves. I think its fine, personally. But then again... i dont go to church.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

yea i know... churches always need to get their roof fixed or something
but around here i'd say the problem is we got too many church
back in joliette (about 35-40k population) we had at least 5-6 churches, and a cathedral
they busted a church, and made it into a library...

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

Totally bad, we had a issue at the church I went to about selling stuff in the hallway that attached the school to the church.

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Depends, are they just covering the cost of the item, or are they trying to make a profit, and who is the profit going too? I pretty sure when Jesus got upset it was because people were selling things to make a profit for themeslves, trying to get rich off selling people things to use in church, I think it's different if the church itself is selling something to raise money for the church. There is a big difference between the church doing a fundraiser and somebody outside the church coming in to make a profit by selling you something you need for you church service, like a hymnal or something.

Either way what you described at that church sounds tacky, trying to sell things in church just doesn't seem right no matter who get's the profit. I say do your fundraising out of the church.

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

they we're outright selling us stuff
the priest was listing various items for the newly baptised kids
im not sure, but i think you have to pay to get your kid baptised, and then they try to sell you stuff in the middle of the ceremony?

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Yeah, that is pretty bad, definitally not an appropriate place to try to raise funds.

Fred Ward
ultranoob

Post by Fred Ward »

If you are talking about a priest then you are talking about Catholics yes, not Christianinty they are different.

Jesus got upset because the money lenders had turned Gods house into a den of thieves.

He also pointed out that on the sabbath you shouldn't do any trading so I've always wondered why there are shops in Churches.