Patch 1.0.3 and the effects on gameplay?

Time to DIE! DIE!
Bane
Uber Nerd

Patch 1.0.3 and the effects on gameplay?

Post by Bane »

Which one of you are in inferno and have fully experienced the effects of the patch? Can't read the battlenet forums, they are all full of whiners and fan bois so it's impossible to get an objective review. I would love to read your guys thoughts on it, if you would like to share.

I've just entered hell with my first char, so I have not yet fully experienced the game pre-patch, so got nothing to compare with.

Btw, for those of you playing barb, which is the cheapest way of finishing Hell and playing Inferno without über gear? I've specced my baba for weap throw, both because I like it and because it a good way of not getting gang raped. Kept me aive pretty much all through Nm with found items and a few purchased cheap ones from the gold AH.
Drunkenmaster wrote:i am teh drun kand tbe drun,. wtf+ .... P?
<5Nme dream i can see tou I tell you how I fell???

shiram
Uber Nerd

Re: Patch 1.0.3 and the effects on gameplay?

Post by shiram »

Have not started inferno, or played post patch.
But you can always check the Diablo reddit, http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/
decent place for info
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

don't forget diii.net! they have a different name http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/forum.php but your dii.net accounts might still be active.

i've been learning a shed load from reading those boards in the last couple days.
Don't hate me because I'm pwn

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

ZoSo wrote:don't forget diii.net! they have a different name http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/forum.php but your dii.net accounts might still be active.

i've been learning a shed load from reading those boards in the last couple days.
Aah, so that's why I didn't find their forums :P never heard of that incgamers before, so didn't know it was thw same place.

Shir, never used reddit either. Is it just links to other sites?

shiram
Uber Nerd

Post by shiram »

Reddit does have alot of links to other places, but there's also just general discussions on there.
I like it since it groups it by subject, and you can use the search functions, and the posts are user rated.

edit : heres another sub-reddit, focused on D3 Strats... http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Strategy/
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Skitril
ultranoob

Post by Skitril »

I finished inferno on my barb about 2 weeks ago (the day before RMAH). I am running 2H build. My gear is pretty decent and I was comfortable farming Act 2.
But it was far from godly and in no way was I comfortable farming Act 3, Act 4 I didn't even bother going back into after I killed Inferno Diablo.

I actually haven't been playing my barb too much since then, did a few Siegebreaker/Azmodan runs, helped friends through hell/inferno 1 and 2. Leveled a demon hunter to 60 but seems like a bit of a boring class, will probably level a wizard next. My overall impression:

Prepatch
- Quality of loot drops were definitely better in Act 3 and 4
- Builds were limited ("Wrathquake" builds in Act 3 and 4 unless you had super godly awesome gear... in which case you still probably took a few of the skills that everyone does eg Warcry, Wrath, Revenge, etc)
- No incentive to group
- Gear requirement was extremely steep and one reason I didn't bother playing my barb that much as I was at the point where a single piece of gear was going to cost several millions to upgrade.
- Having said that Diablo was actually a challenging fight for once. I changed specs like 4 or 5 times to beat him.

Postpatch
- Much more fun to group.
- Due to less FUCK YOU mechanics, it's really a good thing as you can diversify builds so much. As a 2H it was very risky at times even with just 1 mobs (winged moloks and goat spearmen = FFFFF, and if you encounter a Golgor - double mace fatty guys - it was like a mini champ fight) and I think Blizz did well to nerf the mob damage as eventually we can play more and more builds as gear becomes more readily available.
- Loot drops suck in Act 3 and 4. I think I've found more level 51 gear with useless stats like dex/intel/attacker takes damage. Honestly it's probably a good thing to just farm Act 1 and 2 as you can stack a crapload of MF gear and just roll through. Not sure if Blizz stealth nerfed drops in general to keep the economy going and the hamster wheel turning.
- Repairs suck balls, for me there are still certain packs that will absolutely shit on me in about 3 seconds and there's nothing I can do about it with my current build (phase beasts, goatmen spearers in Act 3, basically anything that is a big badass in Act 4)

Barbs are always going to be item dependant compared to another class, and I do not like the prices of stuff skyrocketing since RMAH came out. No idea why that happened but gold seemed to tank in value when it did. What is "cheap" and "expensive" is variable. I spent around 7.5mil on my barb. I haven't really changed much but I know I can resell most of my gear for easily twice if not 3x that amount. Having said that I reckon barb with even 1/2 decent gear is a lot more fun to play compared to any other class.

Overall, Inferno on the cheap - I reckon throwbarb can be done, definitely. Tough part will be bosses as they added enrage timers.
WW+sprint build also looks quite fun to play (the guy that pioneered it said he spent 6 mil but I bet his gear is double the value he bought it for)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5888809698

1 million gold challenge (tanky barb, not sure if you can still do this anymore as everyone learned what decent gear is and how to itemise their character)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xq_S8UKS5U

The reason I chose 2H is because when I was starting inferno, everyone was saying that barbs need to be tanks. In fact 2-3 weeks ago you saw most barbs that were progressing had pretty nice resist all gear, defensives stuff, stormshield, string of ears, etc....and 6k dps. It cost like 20-30mil for that gear and 10 minutes to kill a mob?! no thanks.

I dunno about EU AH prices so maybe "cheap" is relative.

Overall - Patch is good for general monster quality of life (ie we don't need to run away from 2-3 white monsters anymore), still too early to tell if Blizz pulled the rug on on other things like enrage timers/drop quality. I do not expect Belial or Zoltan Kulle to be a fun fight if you are built like a tank/have another ranged spec like throwing/seismic slams etc.

Skitril
ultranoob

Post by Skitril »

BTW I think the next level above Inferno should be called AH master mode

As I reckon everyone who has killed diablo was a pretty good AH person to snipe deals/flip items for profit in order to acquire the gear needed. I am still not 100% sure on AH but I'll take it over trying to read trade channel spam any day of the week.

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

sweet, skit.

I'lll post how my ww baba does in inferno :)

he's lvl 40 and my first character, though :P

Bane
Uber Nerd

Post by Bane »

Haven't been playing much lately and couldn't even play easily enough through Hell with my current baba and gear, so tried a DH and she's only ike lvl 20 or so. But thanks alot Skit for that info! It was a good read.

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

I'm in A2 inferno after face pwning A1 with 19k dps, 55% crit, 35k hps, 7k armor, 27% block and ~500 resist all. (22k/58%/35%/9k/650 buffed). 1h mace/shield.

Not very impressive stats, but it was a very good balance for A1.

Act 1 was really fun to roll through as a WW baba. No ranged kiters like Act 2. Can melt any pack in Act 1 with Wrath. I have my WW runed for 1% heal, so it feels a bit like life steal in D2 (can't afford LoH).

Might just stay in Act 1 for a while farming with neph valor. Was such a good return of time invested. With lvl 63 rares dropping left and right for me in A1, it's hard to believe that chasing cats and hornets in A2 will yield anything other than passage onto A3.

Skitril
ultranoob

Post by Skitril »

Zo those are very good stats as a sword and board barb and plenty for Act 1. Great gear is available nowadays is so much more varied and cheaper (you don't need million dollar items and reasonable gear can be gotten for well under 50k nowadays!)

My speculations:

Start building a set with MF that allows you to kill without having to swap gear. At the moment MF on gear is a mixed bag, I personally value it and so do others, but many do not. If you can spare some stats for MF, I would recommend doing so and Act 1 is very farmable for any class right now, with a bit of work, Act 2 will be too.

Based on yesterday's blog from Blizz, they may change how MF gear swaps will work (don't know why this was such a big deal though)... so I guess gear with MF on it, will become more valued?

====

Anyway my Act 1 tips, it may be common knowledge nowadays but sharing is caring

- Start game at "Imprisioned Angel/Cursed Hold" (if you need this I can smash butcher for you)
- Teleport to Northern Highlands and go west, look for a dungeon called "The Watch Tower". This is not a guaranteed spawn but probably like 50%, pretty good still. Remake game until its there.
- If tower is up, walk out of town, there's 2 champ packs very close to town away (usually the fatty guys and a bunch of zombies)
- Teleport to cemetary, walk around in the middle, quite often a skeleton champ pack
- Do cemetary areas

You should hit 5 stacks.

- Port to festering woods. There's usually 1-2 packs outside, or an event with a pack.
- There's 2 dungeons with 2 champ packs guaranteed
- Port to Leoric's Manor, backtrack out. Sometimes there's an elite pack inside. There's a pack right outside in the courtyard (some cultists usually)
- Keep going outside and backtrack to Leoric's backyard for chance at goblin. Head down back to North highlands/watchtower
- Watchtower has definitely been changed since 26/06. Previously there was 2-4 packs inside and then a resplendant chest. Now I've seen 1 resplendant chest, no packs. I've also spawned a HUGE (like the Cathedral levels) maze with 7 packs inside only twice so far, but it's yellow rain when it does happen.
- Port to Halls level 2, usually 2 packs here, no need to go out of your way to find them though, just go down if you get the entrance
- Clear Jail area/Warden
- Halls 3/Butcher

Total time is about 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on gear/kill speed and map layout, but you can gear a barb to do this very easily for 150-200k I reckon. After 5 stacking you should face at least 20 packs/bosses so it's a loot pinata hence why I suggest rolling as much MF into your gear as you can. And I personally have found 3 legendarys from white mobs (not all uniques are great but still...)

Any build works in Act 1, however I was doing it with Frenzy/Sidearm, Revenge/30% damage on left/right mouse, Battleshout/30% damage, Leap with Armor rune or Charge with Heal rune, Wrath/100% rune and Warcry/resist rune as 2-H barb. Passives Nerves of Steel+ Tough as Nails to start, and Ruthless. Then if you feel you are safe enough then replace one of the other dps passives with weapons master or berserker rage. Stats when I was doing this at the time was around 20-25k dps, 30k-odd life, 300-400 resist all with shout and 150% mf pre NV. Warcry/Battleshout/Leap in, frenzy up, pop wrath as needed, packs will die before your wrath runs out unless they are shielders, and you can output a ton of damage, revenge keeps you topped off.

====

Act 2 super awesome route

Since the drop rate change, I am farming Act 2 with 210%-something MF, pre NV. 42k hps, mid 600 resist all with shout, 34 or 35k dps. I've been doing this on and off since last week... probably 1-3 runs a day, and I've banked over 7 million on gold AH sales alone, and geared my Wizard out to the teeth (I have not spent a cent on my wizard for gear... apart from the gems. She is almost as geared as my barb now).

Everyone thinks Act 2 is a shithole. Well it is, but the key is to use checkpoint mechanics to maximise your run. So here's my run

First thing is to go to the quest "Black Soulstone"

Go to desolate sands and run around until you find Vault of the Assassin. Go in, leave game.
Resume game. You should start inside the Vault. Go out to mark it on your map in case you accidently TP out. Go back in and TP out.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE TP ANYWHERE ELSE

5 stacking - use a combination of these and always WP place to place, DO NOT TP ANYWHERE else u will have to find the Vault again.

- WP to Sewers of Caldeum. There's probably 2-3 total packs here, I just do the first one as there's a known bugged ghost unique that is unkillable (his HP bugs out to 1 and is usually the 2nd pack you see).
- WP to Black Canyon mines - usually a pack or two close to the WP
- WP to Alcarnus, there's usually 1-2 packs within the city. On the way back to WP, lap the area that the WP lies, there's a good chance for treasure goblin
- WP to Path of Oasis (not Oasis itself), walk out to Oasis and check for pack, there may be 1 straight away, if not then go back down into the sewer area, there's a pack inside here
- WP to Ancient Path - check for Goblin on Ancient path, then go back down to sewer, another guaranteed pack.

You should easily hit 5 stacks and you do not need to explore massive areas to find them.

Now TP back to your Vault (you can TP back to town as needed) and enjoy the most elite dense area I have ever seen. This little dungeon has no less than 6 (i've personally seen up to 11) champ/elite packs and high chance of goblin and most are comparatively easy compared to say... Lacuni Ninjas, Bees, Rock Golems, Ghosts in the other areas.

Total run takes me about 30-40 minutes. Deaths up to 2-3 depending on how careless I get or how many elite packs I run into while my 2 ultimates are on CD.

Build I run is Ignore Pain/leech rune, EQ/cost reduction rune, Wrath/100% dmg rune, Warcry/resist rune, Frenzy with damage rune and Revenge 30% chance rune. Passives are Nerves + Ruthless + Weapons Master but tempted to replace with Boon of Bul Kathos.

The reason is I run with this is the Vault is not the largest place and I often will run into multiple packs at once. WoTB+EQ usually allows me to burn them all down with maximum efficiency (with my stats I melt anything in here even if they are shielded/extra health/invul minions). Other places you will usually not run into packs while your WoTB is on cooldown but here it is a very likely possibility, hence why I am tossing about putting in Boon of BK for passive. Otherwise some packs will potentially make life extremely difficult (eg whirlwind wraith guys with shielding are a pain, and invis snakes bosses can be a pain too).

Other classes can do this but I doubt with the same efficiency. I do not see any other class being able to take advantage as easily as a barb can as WoTB + EQ is the most efficient way to deal with bullshit/multiple packs at once. My stats (not taking into account MF) are very reachable for any barb with a moderate amount of gear investment too.

====

Act 3 and 4

I can post some Act 3 or 4 tips if people are interested. At the moment Act 3 is doable with my normal gear, but it's just not as profitable as smashing Act 2 with full MF.

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

hell of a nice write up - i'll be running those loops.

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

just started into Act 4!

i can farm A1 and A2 in full mf gear now (around 150% mf). while i was doing a3, i had to leave a few groups or restart games. i'm a tad bit squishy, still.

i'm running this build now.

i dual weild a sword (97% crit dmg) and spear (920 life on hit)

40k dps, 45k hps, 42% crit, 800 res all, 8500 armor, 21% dodge, 1300 LOH

the sprint build is absolutely devastating. sprint is, from what i've seen, the highest aoe dps skill in the game. and with this build you can spam tornados non-stop, even while whirling. wrath of the berserker can also be on for as long as there are 2+ enemies to hit. LOH and crit is the whole secret!

for anyone thinking about running a baba - this build is too much fun :)

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

beat hell diablo about 3 hrs after i posted that, with those stats.

changed gear up a bit and i'm now farming Act 3 with 38k hps, 34k dps (260% crit dmg vs 193% gives me much more actual tornado DPS, though), 42% crit, 1k res all, 19% dodge, 900 LOH.