PVP in EQ2? Yes plz

Nerds Lounge home of Everquest 2

Moderator: ZoSo

ZoSo
Padawan

PVP in EQ2? Yes plz

Post by ZoSo »

EQ2 just announced a new expansion along with a huge addition of wide scale good vs evil factional and guild pvp. They're planning on opening a few dedicated pvp servers and our guild of former swg pvpers is planning on making the jump. So if anyone wants to get in on the ground floor of the best pvp guild EQ2 will ever see, then now is the time!

Bring on the pwn!
Main site, not much yet
Don't hate me because I'm pwn

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

SWG got Space combat and travel, EQ2 got PvP...

Nice that it only took what... a year to get pvp. :lol:
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

Mikeyrat
Jedi

Post by Mikeyrat »

Will they allow transfers from PvE servers to PvP, or will you have to re-roll?

If they're set up like WoW, it would be an incredible advantage to level a toon on a PvE server and move it to PvP when finished. Couldn't imagine EQ2 doing that.

I love the incidental solo/small group PvP in WoW when levelling, etc. Its a blast (especially since I have a class/build thats well suited to it.)
Old Man.

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

that info isnt out yet, but it seems that there will be maybe four new full-scale pvp servers. two that will allow transfers, two that wont. we definately wont be transferring, but leveling from the bottom. there will be new pvp zones, arenas and flags (like tefs or going overt) on the regular servers too.

Genie
Jedi

Post by Genie »

I'd like to see battlefields in SWG brought back like the ones Crow says they got in WoW now

I havent done much pvp since the NGE hit mainly cause Jedi get killed way to easily in pvp situations so far. Next pub should fix that up a little...

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

if wow cant balance pve and pvp.

then theres no way a game (with 0 pvp) will be able to support a real system of pvp with their current stance of nothing but pve.

think about it high end raiders in wow might have some competition from HW geared pvpers.

but in EQ2 the different between a hardcore raiders gear and random noob lvl 60? (not sure what eq2 max level is) is very vast.

in the original eq (which i played on a pvp server) pvp was so horrible because the 1 or 2 guilds on the server which could do all the planes/nagafen/vox/ and then all the kunark badass guys would completely assrape any random guy just wearing normal (non raid) gear.

i even heard that pvp got worse.

think of it like this, the difference got to a point like this

both are lvl 75? warriors

1 has 15k hp and the other has 6k hp.

now the guy with 15k hp also does 5x the damage has 500+ all resists attacks 3x as fast and absorbs about 50% more damage.

thats how it got in eq1.

but eq 2 is a different (albeit shittier) game, so who knows.

just an fyi more people STILL play the original (eq1) than currently play eq2. wonder why

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

wow, who pissed in your cereal? Why would I be playing EQ2 if it was such a shitty game? am i that stupid? EQ2 is a damn good game, even without pvp. it has a mature, nice, tight knit community that reminds me of SWG (maybe not the mature, lol). it has great mechanics, good support and very few bugs.

of course pvp is going to be item based, try finding a rpg game that's not. it's been discussed in EVERY single game since pvp was introduced. my point, which you've apparently ignored completely, is that with new servers coming out we'll be making the server move to start fresh along with all the other crazies.

Styrofoam
Nerd

Post by Styrofoam »

wow is less item based than you'd expect. And while its somewhat item based...even those w/o the top gear are able to compete. The point htat Storm was trying to make was in EQ1 (the far superior game imo) is the differnece between the gear of top raiders when compared to the gear of a casual player is catostrophic ... the 500x more resists + 500x more damage is a far cry from fun...especially if you don't have the countless hours of playign over and over raiding the same dragon/god/Ubermob. Especially in EQ1 where so many super raiders are all epic'd out on their quests. Its quite rediculous if you ask me.

I'm not saying EQ2 sucks...only saying that EQ1 (as with most sequals) is a superior product. I have to say that WoW is a better game than either of them though.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

I'm not a big fan of the concept of item based games.. but lets get serious.

If i have a table fork. And you have a flaming broadsword. And you don't do 500x my damage. Something is seriously wrong.
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Mikeyrat
Jedi

Post by Mikeyrat »

Well the difference between EQ and WoW from the itemization standpoint, is you don't HAVE to be in a big raiding guild to get the equipment to be profecient at PvP. In fact, the BEST PvP equipment in WoW comes from the battlegrounds, not raid dungeons. I have the complete Tier 2 warlock set from the toughest raid dungeon (currently available) but if I were gonna PvP for real, I wouldn't wear it.

The problem in WoW with PvP is there is no penalty for losing. In a battleground, a mage will just blink into a crowd and AoE, probably picking up a few honorable kills before being totally annhiliated in 10 seconds. He then resses with 30 seconds, travels the 35-45 seconds to get to the combat again, and does it again. Just mindless and stupid. In my opinion, he should have ever-longer res timers, and res from graveyards further and further from battle, so that after 2-3 AoE bombs, he becomes basically combat ineffective for some time.

I do enjoy 1v1 and small group incidental combat in the world, however. No better rush, IMO.
Old Man.

ZoSo
Padawan

Post by ZoSo »

i don't see how EQ1 is a superior product. almost every one of my guildies in EQ2 also played EQ and is having more fun in this game. if anyone wants to try it out rather than just being blizz fanboys, theres a free 7 day trial.

Mikeyrat
Jedi

Post by Mikeyrat »

ZoSo wrote:i don't see how EQ1 is a superior product. almost every one of my guildies in EQ2 also played EQ and is having more fun in this game. if anyone wants to try it out rather than just being blizz fanboys, theres a free 7 day trial.
Blizz fanboys or Sony fanboys, whats the damn difference?
Old Man.

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

ZoSo wrote:i don't see how EQ1 is a superior product. almost every one of my guildies in EQ2 also played EQ and is having more fun in this game. if anyone wants to try it out rather than just being blizz fanboys, theres a free 7 day trial.
So preaches the SOE fanboy who forgets that part of their company killed a game that TONS of people loved and stuck by even after the first set of changes.

With that said I wouldn't call me a blizz fanboy but more of a SOE hater. And after seeing the track record for SOE content changes expect double xp or the equivelent in EQ2. You're talking major amounts of code changed and SOE in my mind hasn't been able to do that correctly for the 2 years I played one of their products.

Counter point. D2 was a bugged, hacked game that drew minimal income, WoW has a huge paying customer base so the product is improved, bugs fixed and I have yet to see a publish cause the servers to implode, major issues emerge.

in conclusion.

When SOE lied, accounts died. Working as intended and Smuggler revamp is in the works.
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Mikeyrat wrote:
Blizz fanboys or Sony fanboys, whats the damn difference?
He's right. Both make shitty games.

They didn't use to though..

I'm a ChronoTrigger fanboy. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
But I'm not the only one

There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.

Buttons aren't toys.

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

RoamingMadness wrote: They didn't use to though..

Can't really compare Sony Entertainment to Sony Online Entertainment, two totally different units in the company, hell one of my favorite games to this date is still the first Final Fantasy which was technically a Sony game if I remember correctly.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Crow wrote:
RoamingMadness wrote: They didn't use to though..

Can't really compare Sony Entertainment to Sony Online Entertainment, two totally different units in the company, hell one of my favorite games to this date is still the first Final Fantasy which was technically a Sony game if I remember correctly.
You sir are correct. But i was actually refering to SWG version NotGay. FF1 is still one of the best, and always will be.

No real plot. No in depth character backgrounds. Hell they don't even have names. And it still makes me smile when i play it.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

As to not stray too far from the true topic at hand... I will have to agree that a true item based pvp world like SWG or D2 unfortunatly puts everyone else who plays as a casual gamer on the bottom of the food chain. Unless your guild has a firm need before greed system someone is going to get borked in the farming of gear no matter what server you go to.

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

Crow wrote:As to not stray too far from the true topic at hand... I will have to agree that a true item based pvp world like SWG or D2 unfortunatly puts everyone else who plays as a casual gamer on the bottom of the food chain. Unless your guild has a firm need before greed system someone is going to get borked in the farming of gear no matter what server you go to.
You know its interesting you bring that up. Because i rarely ever did anything but PvP in d2. I got items from you guys, once you we're totally twinked out. And built my characters according to the items i knew i had (which is why i had to build like 5 javazons, i kept upgrading items and skills to better fit me).

So long as the end game items aren't impossible to get, and there are a good number of options in those choices. Don't forget, most of the noobs in d2 used a seriously broken item (the buriza, and omfg thats gonna be a rank) with full DR gear and yet any good Javazon, Barb, 7FPS bowazon, hell even the throw barbs we played with. Could rape them.

Hell, i was going about 50/50 with them when i did 1100 damage with a freaking level 26+ lightning fury. A far cry from 2200, all leechable, i was doing with level 1 leveling bolt by the time i quit.

While d2 was heavy item based, and ill admit it was nigh impossible competing with some people if you didn't have there level of gear. The vast marjority of pvp (at least on east) was a joke even against hackers.

Hell. Crow and i would fucking practice in FFA rooms with hackers, wearing usually 'practice gear'. Just enough to get us by.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.

Darius
Padawan

Post by Darius »

Yea, but that's because like 80% of the folks who dueled in pubs were newbs. My TvT barb who was obviouslt made for 3v3 teamplay but rocked in pubs due to almost perfect item/skill flexibility, gained such notoriety in Europe pub duels that many morons tried to gangbang him in pubs cause hardly anyone could take him 1v1. It just took a bit of exp, understanding of the game and items to beat most other PvPers.

In real competitive environment like e.g. the D2 Clan League Polish dueling channels, you could easily find a challenge. Just BvB was kind of easy, since most people didn't specialize in it, and it required some pricy gear.

But I definitely agree that beating 'hackers' was usually easy. On West, I dueled countless dudes with Iths and all the other crap like duped Valors, and they were usually hopeless players. I often went to the pubs with Korns or the two necro guys... It was fun.

The coolest thing I experienced in D2 was PKing though. I used to be a PK(K), too. When I entered a blood run back when they existed before cow runs with my friend Soft who also played a barb, it was just damn satisfying to see high lvl zons/sorcs talk crap like "LOLOLOL PK BARBZ" first and then fall...

but I digress...
Last edited by Darius on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
w w w . t h e w i t c h e r . c o m

RoamingMadness
Uber Nerd

Post by RoamingMadness »

PKing was fun.

More so with like a level 12 pally back in the day before items had levels, and you could use might/charge/bonesnap against people like level 20ish and one hit kill them.

You'd go hostile, they'd laugh and underestimate you. Then they usually fell in a single hit.
But I'm not the only one

Buttons aren't toys.